Acer aspire 5 A515-51g 518r the cpu was on high %

Options
FrancescoFF
FrancescoFF Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi. Aparently for some quite time when the cpu was on high % my charger got disconected and a flsshin orange light on the laptop icon was pulsing. Till now is not charging at all. The charger voltage is 19.4v now i dont know if the Amps cpuld be lower or something. Im thinkin buyin a new chsrget to test it out. (ive uninstalled the adapter drivers and all that, i dont really wanna test it without batery cuz i have to take the whole cover off so idk) any thoughts about this? 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,697 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Perhaps the battery just needed to be re-seated a few times to help clean the contacts. Its voltage sensing probes which don't carry much current and thus are very susceptible to humidity/corrosion. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Under high CPU, GPU etc power demands (for example when playing intensive games) it is normal for the battery to occasionally stop charging so it can help the charger meet the power demands. It usually reverts to charging normally when the power demands are reduced. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    Yeah but now it just doesnt charge. And the "unplugin" my charger thing start doin it even if was on idle. When i shuted it down and left it to charge it was charging. Opened it started doin the same thing till it hasnt charged anymore. Im thinkin is the adaptor. Just want some more oppinion bout this. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    Ive opened the cover tested it without the batery and it is working. So the batery is dead. Well had like 3 years ish so kinda expected. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    Now i have another little "problem".
    For some reason while plugged in without the batery it just shuted down instantly. 
    Is there something i need to set on the Power plan since is on ac now? 
    Opened works fine now but idk if is gonna do it again or. Any ideeas? 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>For some reason while plugged in without the batery it just shuted down instantly. >>>

The plug's ring and jack's slider probably weren't making good contact. Look inside the power jack with a flashlight and bend the slider toward the center pin with a toothpick so it presses harder against the plug's ring when inserted. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    I ll try that. Could that be why the battery s not chargin? 
  • FrancescoFF
    Options
    Well my sliders are bein pushed in when the charger gets in. I kinda pulled em a bit out seems to hold on the other side. I ll see if it fixed
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Let us know. However, if the battery pack was allowed to discharge below the critical 4-5% level it may not be recoverable. You can try to bring it back by allowing it to charge until the charge LED  stops blinking, then turns from steady orange to steady blue before trying to turn the machine on again. This may take 8 or more hours. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    Ive checked the power plug from inside the laptop, looks good 19v.ive inserted back the batery and now it opened with it is just shows 0% plugged in. So i guess the batery s bad. The thing is idk which one s bad. I havent run a batery check yet as you said earlier. I ll try that too and i ll see what i get. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. Do the battery check. Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at the administrator command prompt. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    This is super weird. So ive done all the updates on drivers windows etc. Left it to restart i left the house for some hours, came back it was stil on "0% plugged in". Ive tried to put the cover on to place and for some reason i didnt fit in place the battery so i took the 2 screws off and placed in place, placed the cover powerd it and now it magically charges. 
    Btw the report is super long i `ll leave screenshots with what i belive is important .if you wanna look for something special let me know.
    https://imgur.com/a/p2RXmno
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>for some reason i didnt fit in place the battery>>>

Heh-heh.   =)    Remaining battery capacity looks fair. Let's see how it goes now.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    Aight, i`ll try boost the cpu a bit and keep an eye on it to see if it stops charging like before. I`ll keep you updated.Thanks for all the answers so far
  • JackE
    Options
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it will be OK.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FrancescoFF
    Options
    JackE said:
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it will be OK.  :)   Jack E/NJ
    3 days in, looks completly fine. But im still confused why and how it got fixed. All good for now. Thanks again for everything :)
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Perhaps the battery just needed to be re-seated a few times to help clean the contacts. Its voltage sensing probes which don't carry much current and thus are very susceptible to humidity/corrosion. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.