Acer Aspire ES 15 ES1-523-456C -- RAM related query

Options
junelislam
junelislam Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello All,

I would like some advice on what to do here with my laptop - I've had it for 5 years now, contemplated on getting a new laptop but other Acer users have recommended I should just "upgrade the laptop".

The reason I have contemplated is that every time I use the laptop - it is running slow, it is reporting a 100% Disc (C:) and the memory is coming up with 841MB which is not enough to do anything really - see below.

I know the screenshot above shows a DISC of 16% but it is normally operating at 100% when I use the laptop. I have tried some remedies such as resetting my laptop (it helped a bit, but not enough). I've carried AV checks and just think the only best option for me now is to upgrade my RAM.

I bought the laptop initially for University work but now plan to mix it up a bit, want to include a bit of gaming and some internet browsing - my ideal laptop sounds 8GB RAM but mine is 4GB.

The question now I have for you all is -- can I upgrade the RAM for my laptop? And how do I know the maximum RAM I can add onto my laptop? And can I buy the RAM direct from ACER?

See below for some specification information on my laptop:

ACER ASPIRE ES 15 ES1-523-456C
AMD QUAD-CORE PROCESSOR A4-7210
AMD RADEON R3 GRAPHICS
QUAD CORE
4GB DDR3 L MEMORY (RAM)
1000GB HDD

Any help will be greatly appreciated - many thanks

Junel

Comments

• junelislam

Tinkerer

Options
    I've carried out a CRUCIAL system scan - they have recommended some RAM parts that I can use to upgrade. They have mentioned I can add an 8GB DRAM card to an "empty slot" - is an empty slot a real thing?

Also, with an ACER laptop - is using a different brand laptop part such as CRUCIAL void the warranty?

See the link for the scan details: https://www.crucial.com/scanview/DD07220031D926C3

I'm contemplating on just getting the Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM listed on the website which is priced at $46.99 - is it worth it?

It looks like an easy job - just take a few screws off and slot it in. Anyone else changed their RAMs?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,617 Trailblazer
    Options
    You seem to have quite a few programs loading at startup. You might want to first try opening TaskManager and clicking on the startup tab. Disable or better  yet uninstall any non-Microsoft virus scanners that might be running in the background as they can make the machine  extremely slow with no significant benefit over Microsoft's Defender and MaliciousSoftwareTool which are  updated regularly. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• junelislam

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    You seem to have quite a few programs loading at startup. You might want to first try opening TaskManager and clicking on the startup tab. Disable or better  yet uninstall any non-Microsoft virus scanners that might be running in the background as they can make the machine  extremely slow with no significant benefit over Microsoft's Defender and MaliciousSoftwareTool which are  updated regularly. Jack E/NJ
    Interesting - would you say having a third party anti virus is worth it? Do you feel downloading one is a redundant exercise? As Microsoft pre-loaded security should technically do the job? I have also seen the same on a Microsoft community group (see - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/windows-10-windows-defender-vs-other-third-party/37c133c8-c779-4336-b48a-4390dbcc5ba1) but very sceptical around it. Is this what you have been doing?

And also I've read on a separate discussion that I can mix the RAM sizes, as currently I have a 4GB RAM available - I can add a second 8GB into the empty slot (see: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/542234/dunno-what-brand-of-ram-in-my-laptop).

However saying that I need to be using the correct brands in relation to the DRAM that I will be adding into the laptop - from what it says in the above discussion, the most notable brands for ACER are Samsung, Kingston and Crucial.

I can find what type I need without opening up the laptop is by running a test using https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html - the information listed in the SPD tab of the software is what I need.

I have also read that I need to activate the dual channel to use both slots of the RAM but from what I have read online, this should come with kit - it will automatically activate the dual channel. Is this correct?

Also I read on Reddit (see: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/aiwbql/stupid_question_can_i_mix_ram_sizes_on_different/) that you shouldn't mix RAM sizes, if the current RAM card you have is 4GB you need to match it with another 4GB. If you want to put 8GB, you got to replace the other too - it's to do with the frequency/capacity being recorded on the cards - any truth to this?
  • JackE
    Options
    Uninstall the non-Microsoft scanners. Most folks don't them and usually cause more issues than they're worth. You can install any DDR3L modules rated at 1333MHz or higher frequency. They will all downshift to operate at the 1333MHz allowed by your mainboard. You also don't have to worry about dual channel or dual rank mumbo-jumbo or mixing RAM sizes in this machine. You can add 8GB for 12GB total, or another 4GB for 8GB total or you can go whole hog and exchange the 4GB module with another 8GB module for 16GB max. Many choices.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• junelislam

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Uninstall the non-Microsoft scanners. Most folks don't them and usually cause more issues than they're worth. You can install any DDR3L modules rated at 1333MHz or higher frequency. They will all downshift to operate at the 1333MHz allowed by your mainboard. You also don't have to worry about dual channel or dual rank mumbo-jumbo or mixing RAM sizes in this machine. You can add 8GB for 12GB total, or another 4GB for 8GB total or you can go whole hog and exchange the 4GB module with another 8GB module for 16GB max. Many choices.  :)   Jack E/NJ
    Cheers, just what I was looking for - a straight up answer, none of the flimsy stuff I've seen online so far

A lot of users online mentioned to download the CPUID software to check what DRAM I have and make sure to get the same manufacturing brand for it and as you can see below I wasted my time on doing this  =)

• junelislam

Tinkerer

Options
    Also when shopping around should I consider the latency?

My current CAS Latency is 11 - users online have said you shouldn't mix and match when it comes to latency, there should be a consistent number on both RAM cards that are input into the laptop. Do you think this is a load of bollocks?

• JackE
    Options
    Trust crucial recommendations. Your machine uses garden variety DDR3L low voltage modules whose latencies are all the same, 11, typical for a garden variety non-gaming laptop. The factory uses many different brands whichever was cheapest or in the backbin at the time.  Crucial's will work fine and competitive with most. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ