USB disconnecting and reconnecting - Predator PH315-51

Options
Boeing7479M
Boeing7479M Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2021 in Predator Laptops
I've got an issue with my Predator PH315-51 that even after Googling extensively has proven inconclusive. As the tree said to the lumberjack, "I'm stumped".

Starting only recently, certain USB devices would "disconnect and reconnect" when plugged into my Predator (device disappears, USB unplugged sound plays, USB plugged in sound plays, device reappears), almost continuously (though not in rapid succession). This happens even with my Predator plugged in to the power socket.

I first noticed this with my USB TV stick. Thinking that stick is becoming problematic, I tried another, which exhibited the same symptom. Tried different USB ports - same thing. It has now affected my GoPro as well, which is very annoying when I'm trying to transfer video files. Both TV sticks and the GoPro worked fine before, and I have also tried them on another Windows 10 PC - a desktop - the problem didn't surface. At this point I can only think of any of the previous months Windows update being the chief cause - that, or I snagged something when I opened up the laptop to regrease about two months or so back. But the weird thing is this does not seem to happen to my wireless mouse or my USB sound card. (I did notice that my Arduino is also affected, though)

Googling the problem generally asked that users 1) reinstall all USB drivers 2) turn off ability of the computer to turn off the USB devices to save power and 3) disable USB selective suspend setting in Power Options. I've tried all three - didn't work.

Suggestions / help much appreciated.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Boeing7479M,

Try to do reset on your unit. If the issue persist​ please post the result we will check with other troubleshooting steps.
  • Boeing7479M

Tinkerer

Options
    Easwar said:
    Hi Boeing7479M,

Try to do reset on your unit. If the issue persist​ please post the result we will check with other troubleshooting steps.
    Hi, thanks for the reply - sorry for the late response.

A reset as in Windows reset?

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi Boeing7479M,

YES

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
  • Boeing7479M

Tinkerer

Options
    Easwar said:
    Hi Boeing7479M,

YES

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 

Check this T/S and post the result. 
    Hi Easwar,

Many thanks for your response and patience - I've been held up by so many things lately. I will try and do this this weekend (need to back up quite a few things first) and thereafter revert.