Aspire V5-571 Force Boot using USB

SLitt
SLitt Member Posts: 9 New User
Hello, so I recently had an issue where my laptop was somehow left without an operating system and I got a bootable USB with windows ten. Getting the BIOS menu up didn’t work as I only heard a beep when clicking F2 then nothing happened. So I was told to force boot with the USB by holding down Fn and Esc until the USB lights up. The screen has been black for over 3 hours now and I don’t want to turn the laptop off if it disrupts the boot. Is my laptop still trying to boot using the USB or am I just waiting for nothing. How can I get the laptop to run.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    SLitt said:
    Hello, so I recently had an issue where my laptop was somehow left without an operating system and I got a bootable USB with windows ten. Getting the BIOS menu up didn’t work as I only heard a beep when clicking F2 then nothing happened. So I was told to force boot with the USB by holding down Fn and Esc until the USB lights up. The screen has been black for over 3 hours now and I don’t want to turn the laptop off if it disrupts the boot. Is my laptop still trying to boot using the USB or am I just waiting for nothing. How can I get the laptop to run.

SLitt firstly, the V5-571 comes OEM Win-8.1 and with two types of BIOS’s, which one do you have? As it either comes with an MBR/Legacy or EFI/UEFI BIOS. Also make sure that you have the latest BIOS version installed for either BIOS versions. I speak from experience as the V5-571 is the same as one of my older laptops the V3-571G that came with an MBR/Legacy BIOS that I converted to EFI/UEFI BIOS, btw don't attempt this conversion as you have to have extensive BIOS modding and programing expertise as and if you attempt that and you don’t know what you are doing, you will brick your V5-571 laptop and it will be useless. 

Note: make sure that your Win-10 Installation USB was properly setup with either and within your V5-571 first and boot to its appropriate BIOS that it has. If not, using a UEFI/BIOS setup USB with an MBR/Legacy BIOS or the reverse, will not work and the USB will not boot the laptop into the Win-10 setup files, they have to be the same.

Anyway and after all the above, don’t press anything like the ‘Fn and Esc keys’ as you could do more damage that way, do this:

• Turn the laptop off by holding the power button for a few seconds until it turns off (this will not cause any damage to your laptop).
    • Then take the battery out and leave the laptop without a battery for 5 min.
    • Now, put the battery back and plug the mains charger into the AC jack slot of the laptop.
    • After ‘have your finger ready at the F2 key” so that as soon as you turn the laptop back on and the Acer logo first appears,
    • You immediately press the F2 key and keep pressing the F2 key until the bios appears.
    • This should get you into the bios, it won’t disrupt the boot as it will reset everything.

After getting into the bios, go to the ‘Boot” section of the bios and make sure that the first ‘Boot priority order’ and its boot is set to USB HDD and not ‘Windows Boot Manager’ in EFI/UEFI BIOS or the HDD in the MBR/Legacy BIOS, as by doing this, it will make your Win-10 Installation USB boot to the proper installation files and start the installation of Win-10. 

This is the EFI/UEFI BIOS type

This is the MBR/Legacy BIOS type 

• SLitt
    SLitt Member Posts: 9 New User
    StevenGen said:
    SLitt said:

SLitt firstly, the V5-571 comes OEM Win-8.1 and with two types of BIOS’s, which one do you have? As it either comes with an MBR/Legacy or EFI/UEFI BIOS. Also make sure that you have the latest BIOS version installed for either BIOS versions. I speak from experience as the V5-571 is the same as one of my older laptops the V3-571G that came with an MBR/Legacy BIOS that I converted to EFI/UEFI BIOS, btw don't attempt this conversion as you have to have extensive BIOS modding and programing expertise as and if you attempt that and you don’t know what you are doing, you will brick your V5-571 laptop and it will be useless. 

Note: make sure that your Win-10 Installation USB was properly setup with either and within your V5-571 first and boot to its appropriate BIOS that it has. If not, using a UEFI/BIOS setup USB with an MBR/Legacy BIOS or the reverse, will not work and the USB will not boot the laptop into the Win-10 setup files, they have to be the same.

Anyway and after all the above, don’t press anything like the ‘Fn and Esc keys’ as you could do more damage that way, do this:

• Turn the laptop off by holding the power button for a few seconds until it turns off (this will not cause any damage to your laptop).
    • Then take the battery out and leave the laptop without a battery for 5 min.
    • Now, put the battery back and plug the mains charger into the AC jack slot of the laptop.
    • After ‘have your finger ready at the F2 key” so that as soon as you turn the laptop back on and the Acer logo first appears,
    • You immediately press the F2 key and keep pressing the F2 key until the bios appears.
    • This should get you into the bios, it won’t disrupt the boot as it will reset everything.

After getting into the bios, go to the ‘Boot” section of the bios and make sure that the first ‘Boot priority order’ and its boot is set to USB HDD and not ‘Windows Boot Manager’ in EFI/UEFI BIOS or the HDD in the MBR/Legacy BIOS, as by doing this, it will make your Win-10 Installation USB boot to the proper installation files and start the installation of Win-10. 

This is the EFI/UEFI BIOS type

This is the MBR/Legacy BIOS type 

Unfortunately I don’t know which BIOS I have. Thanks for the reply and insight on the issue. Is taking the battery out a fairly simple process? I don’t want to do any further damage to the laptop
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021

Yes, the battery is very easy to take out, slide the clip at the bottom to the right first and the battery will pop up and then you can take it out (see caption below) as you won’t do any damage, its a procedural part of replacing your battery and opening your V5-571’s case for maintenance and to fix certain problems. Btw SLitt, my suggestion to you would be for you to take your V5-571 to an experienced technician and get them to solve your problem. There could be other problems such a CMOS battery may need replacing and certain other things (due to yourV5-571 age) that need checking. Don’t open it and/or touch it, as you could do more damage if you don’t have any experience in solving these sorts’ of problems than fixing anything. Good luck.

V5-571 laptop back case