A717-72g 559x Original ram location and if it's removable

Kevindbk
Kevindbk Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi, I have the Aspire7 from Acer, A717-72g-559x, comes with upgradable ssd and ram slot, which i both upgraded, and now I'm having issues where fps drops while playing games. My assumption is the extra ram i added, (Corsair vengeance Performance 8gb 2400mhz ddr4) is not syncing well with the original ram that is pre-installed. I have been asking around acer community and they couldn't help me too much so here I ask again, any folks if they know where the original ram is located and if it can be removed and replaced, kindly let me know. (On the laptop, it says 2 banks of 1 for ram, does that mean i can replace the original and stick two of the same type of ram?) Thank you in advance.

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You have different frequency RAM modules installed, the original one was 2666MHz module and you have upgraded with a 2400MHz module, I would suggest you either replace the 2666MHz module with a 2400MHz Corsair module or replace Corsair module with a 2666MHz module of any brand with CL value of 19, if you are upgrading memory with the existing memory, you have to match the specification.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Kevindbk said:
    Hi, I have the Aspire7 from Acer, A717-72g-559x, comes with upgradable ssd and ram slot, which i both upgraded, and now I'm having issues where fps drops while playing games. My assumption is the extra ram i added, (Corsair vengeance Performance 8gb 2400mhz ddr4) is not syncing well with the original ram that is pre-installed. I have been asking around acer community and they couldn't help me too much so here I ask again, any folks if they know where the original ram is located and if it can be removed and replaced, kindly let me know. (On the laptop, it says 2 banks of 1 for ram, does that mean i can replace the original and stick two of the same type of ram?) Thank you in advance.

As colleague “brummyfan2” says, you have 2x totally different memory modules installed, the OEM Micron Tech 8GB DDR4-2666MKz is quicker than the Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2400MHz module so, your memory is running at 2400MHz or less combined to what 2x DDR4-2666MHz memory should, hence and that is why you get fps drops and also a drop in your memory performance overall.

Get rid of the Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2400MHz and replace it with a matching Micron Tech with the same part # (if you cn get it?) or get a similar speed/timing memory to match your OEM Micron Tech 8GB DDR4-2666MKz memory. That is where your problem is, as the rule of thumb is, that you never ever put unmatched speed/timing memory together as both memory modules will always work to the lowest speed/timing of your lowest memory as it will affect both speed/timings of both modules to work to even less speed/timings than 2x of your lowest memory specs should together. That is why 2x matching kits are best too use that manufacturers sell as they match these 2x modules to the nearest specs of both, simple. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    edited March 2021
    Hi,
    You have two slots for RAM, we need to know the model numbers of the memory modules in your laptop, please download and install CPU-z, run it and post the pictures of Memory tab and SPD tab for both slots, I think you have either mixed profile RAM modules installed in your laptop because Corsair Vengeance modules have automatic overclocking feature enabled, your original RAM may have JEDEC profile.
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

• Kevindbk

Tinkerer

Here they are. Thank you very much!
  • Kevindbk

Tinkerer

Here is the slot #2 for SPD
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You have different frequency RAM modules installed, the original one was 2666MHz module and you have upgraded with a 2400MHz module, I would suggest you either replace the 2666MHz module with a 2400MHz Corsair module or replace Corsair module with a 2666MHz module of any brand with CL value of 19, if you are upgrading memory with the existing memory, you have to match the specification.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Kevindbk said:

As colleague “brummyfan2” says, you have 2x totally different memory modules installed, the OEM Micron Tech 8GB DDR4-2666MKz is quicker than the Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2400MHz module so, your memory is running at 2400MHz or less combined to what 2x DDR4-2666MHz memory should, hence and that is why you get fps drops and also a drop in your memory performance overall.

Get rid of the Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2400MHz and replace it with a matching Micron Tech with the same part # (if you cn get it?) or get a similar speed/timing memory to match your OEM Micron Tech 8GB DDR4-2666MKz memory. That is where your problem is, as the rule of thumb is, that you never ever put unmatched speed/timing memory together as both memory modules will always work to the lowest speed/timing of your lowest memory as it will affect both speed/timings of both modules to work to even less speed/timings than 2x of your lowest memory specs should together. That is why 2x matching kits are best too use that manufacturers sell as they match these 2x modules to the nearest specs of both, simple.