Battery not charging, orange light blinking when discharging Aspire E 14 E5-476G-52N9

jayjay_lim30
jayjay_lim30 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi Team,

I need help because my laptop isn't charging anymore. When I turned on my laptop past few days ago, it's fully charged to 100% but orange light is blinking when discharging. Normally, orange light will just blink when the battery is low but in this case even when the battery has sufficient energy it keeps on blinking. I checked my battery health it shows 61%. Now, battery percentage is 67% plugged in only (there's nothing indicated when charging or not charging). Orange light is stable when plugged in. I already updated my BIOS version to the latest and did battery reset by pinching the small button under my laptop for 5 or more seconds, also tried disabling and enabling Microsoft ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery but still the same.

I have experienced this already more than 3 times and it just keeps on coming back for some day. Surprisingly at this very moment while I'm typing here, my laptop suddenly turns to 100% and I unplug my charger and orange light is not blinking anymore. It's kind of weird. Is this something I need to take action? What seems to be the main issue? Is it the battery itself or it's already the motherboard? I have been using my laptop for 2 years now. Any answers or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Acer Aspire E 14 E5-476G-52N9
Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
4GB DDR4 Memory
1000GB HDD

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi jayjay_lim30,

# Power drain,
    At bottom of the laptop there will be tiny pin hole with battery symbol close to it. Insert pin or paper clip into that hole press and hold it for 30-40 seconds.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    jayjay_lim30

Since you have tried the power drain with the pin hole already. try to do a battery calibration and also try to reinstall the battery drivers from the device manager. dont delete the drivers just uninstall and restart the computer.  check the links below.
     3 Solutions for Laptop Battery Not Charging When Plugged In  RaymondCC -  Page 2

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/605185/nitro-5-an515-54-battery-wont-charge

https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/​ 

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • jayjay_lim30
    Hi christy1

I think I have different interface from yours. It will completely remove the drivers. It has no option to check or uncheck the software drivers. See below screenshot:

Anyways, would it be possible if I perform the battery calibration using an application?

Thanks for your support!
  • jayjay_lim30
    JackE said:
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Hi JackE,

See below screenshot:

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Well, you're battery pack has lost about 40% of its original watt-hour capacity so it should probably be replaced. Less than $30 for a new replacement. You may be able to bring it partially back by opening DeviceManager. Click on battery folder. Then right click on ALL battery software drivers that you find inside this folder and unsintall them. Then exit Device Manager without trying re-install anything. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Then click on 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Then scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Then shutdown Windows normally. Then restart Windows and let Windows auto redetect your charger and battery pack hardware and auto re-install the  driver software. Then shutdown Windows normally again. Don't try to turn it back on until the blinking charge LED turns to steady orange and finally to steady blue. This may take 8 or more hours. Then try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ