Does it decrease the battery life of my laptop if I keep recharging it?

redshot
redshot Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Aside from work, I also use my laptop for gaming. Does it damage the laptop if I keep recharging it?

I am also not sure if I keep the charger plugged in for 14 hours a days(my laptop use each day).

Best Answer

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    It does not matter. The laptop is clever enough to keep the battery in good shape. The main enemy of the battery is the heat. So, keep the laptop as cool as possible.  As you can see, nowadays, the laptops has built-in battery, so you you have not much to do with it. In the past, some recommend to remove it while being on charger for long time. But now, this is impossible.  

Answers

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    It does not matter. The laptop is clever enough to keep the battery in good shape. The main enemy of the battery is the heat. So, keep the laptop as cool as possible.  As you can see, nowadays, the laptops has built-in battery, so you you have not much to do with it. In the past, some recommend to remove it while being on charger for long time. But now, this is impossible.  
  • Drakula
    Drakula Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    redshot said:
    Aside from work, I also use my laptop for gaming. Does it damage the laptop if I keep recharging it?

I am also not sure if I keep the charger plugged in for 14 hours a days(my laptop use each day).
    I don't think so.As soon as the laptop battery charges the power from the charger is directly using for the laptops functioning without using the battery.as rich1974 said, You must keep the battery cool as much as possible. Heat is the enemy. In my opinion, It is a good practice to use the whole battery until it's dead once a month and recharge it full for the better functioning of the battery. Otherwise the chemicals inside the battery will not be able to function properly as you don't use it.
  • redshot
    redshot Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Drakula said:
    redshot said:

I don't think so.As soon as the laptop battery charges the power from the charger is directly using for the laptops functioning without using the battery.as rich1974 said, You must keep the battery cool as much as possible. Heat is the enemy. In my opinion, It is a good practice to use the whole battery until it's dead once a month and recharge it full for the better functioning of the battery. Otherwise the chemicals inside the battery will not be able to function properly as you don't use it.
    Good point. Thank you for this. I'll definitely discharge my battery to 0% every once in a while