Acer Aspire A515-54-51DJ Audio Input Not Working

Everyman
Everyman Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello,

I've had this Acer Aspire A515-54-51-DJ for a little over a year.  About 2 weeks ago the audio input just completely stopped working.  I can hear the output perfectly fine, but nobody can hear me - either on the headphones or the laptop's microphone.  The microphone test doesn't register any sound activity.

I've tried every troubleshooting method I can think of - the audio troubleshooter can't find anything, it says the drivers are up to date and working properly (tried uninstalling and reinstalling them), tried turning off audio enhancements, tried different default formats.

I took it to a repair shop and it magically started working again when they booted it up.  Then it worked for a few days and now it's back to not working.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what else to try?

PS:  No, it's not on mute. :)

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    >>> it says the drivers are up to date and working properly (tried uninstalling and reinstalling them)>>>

If you haven't done so already, google 'microphone tests'. Try a few of the online hits to see what they detect if anything. If still no joy, uninstall all the audio drivers again but don't re-install them. Then turn off fast startup in ControlPanel's power button app. Then shut Windows down nomrally. Turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. If SystemProtection is turned on in the box that pops up, click the SystemRestore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a date/time stamp a few days after it magically started working again at the repair shop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you checked the Privacy settings? If not give it a try, compare with my settings in the snips.

• Everyman
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. If SystemProtection is turned on in the box that pops up, click the SystemRestore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a date/time stamp a few days after it magically started working again at the repair shop? Jack E/NJ
    Good question.  No.  When I click the "System Restore" button it says no restore points have been created on the computer's system drive, so the Next button is grayed out. System Protection is turned on.
  • Everyman
    Hi,
    Have you checked the Privacy settings? If not give it a try, compare with my settings in the snips.

Thank you.  My apologies - yes, I forgot to mention that I had checked the privacy settings.  Everything is set to allow.
  • JackE
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    >>> it says the drivers are up to date and working properly (tried uninstalling and reinstalling them)>>>

If you haven't done so already, google 'microphone tests'. Try a few of the online hits to see what they detect if anything. If still no joy, uninstall all the audio drivers again but don't re-install them. Then turn off fast startup in ControlPanel's power button app. Then shut Windows down nomrally. Turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Everyman
    JackE said:

I tried the microphone test and it worked!  Then I went back into the sound settings to try an offline test and that worked too.  I'm not sure why, since I haven't done anything.  But I'll keep this in mind if the sounds cuts out again.  Thank you so much!
  • JackE
    >>> I'm not sure why, since I haven't done anything. >>>

Magic. Also happens intermittently with input/output devices in Linux. Audio & videocams are notorious. They sometimes seem to need a kickstart. :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ