Can I install Windows 8.1 on a Aspire 3 and also upgrade it without losing warranty

alexpremium1
alexpremium1 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I want also to add 16 GB of ram and an M2, pls will it kill my warranty

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Changing the software generally doesnt void the warranty, but if it comes with 10 it may be hard to get the right drivers. 

As for installing componants it depnds on the region, as a rull of thumb if there isnt a sticker on the bottom it shouldnt void the warranty, if there is it may

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi @alexpremium1

Installing a lower version of Windows 8.1 doesn't void the warranty, you add it as an additional operating system for your computer, here is how, but you may not get support for your Windows 8.1 from Acer. Coming to your RAM upgrade, check if your computer supports 16Gigs of RAM, check if the speed of the RAM matches with your existing RAM, if you have a 4GB RAM, you can use another 4GB RAM, if 8GB then another 8GB. Coming to M.2 SSDs, check if your computer has M.2 Ports and then upgrade the ROM. Upgrading memory doesn't void a warranty, but changing original components will. For example, Acer may not be able to resolve your computer hardware issues if you change the Battery, as changing the battery may wrongly regulate power to other components and result in frying, that is totally because of your new battery that you changed from a local tech, so you're responsible. Upgrading RAM and ROM is user freedom. 
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
  • alexpremium1
    alexpremium1 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Thank you so much, this HDD is killing me, finally, I can install an M2 SSD