T C-895UA92 USB System Recovery Drive Error 262150

Options
Larryodie
Larryodie Member Posts: 1,439 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
I ordered the USB System Recovery Drive from Acer Store, it took almost a month to get here, then I discovered that I have to do a FN F12 to boot it, the instruction just says F12.
So I boot it then when, I do the Check Image Status...THE ONLY OPTION available.
I get
 ERROR CODE 262150
 NAPPHDD.EXE  
Auto Check Failed
Please Contact The Developer

Of course, Acer support didn't know but told be how to do a Factory Install by going to settings, search "Recovery" then Reset PC, then "Remove Everything" did a complete factory re-install. 

Answers

• Larryodie
    Options
    I get am reply from ACER Store.
    This USB is dated 2-13-2012 ??
    The instructions are dated October 2015
    Says to do a F!2 Boot Menu .  F12 doesn't work on TC-895-UA92 ?
    I found by lots of research that its FN F12. 
    A lots of time wasted to get it booted, plus close to a month of shipping per cheapest way. 
    I feel that this was never tested on TC895-UA92'
    Has anyone else had any problems.
    Thank You.

"Thank you for contacting the Acer Store. We understand that it can be frustrating when a product does not work properly and we apologize for the inconvenience. A failed recovery is typically an issue related to the installation process or the hardware on your system. Unfortunately, opened software in non refundable.  However, if you feel the eRecovery media is defective (visible scratches/cracks, etc.), please confirm your address and the SNID for your computer so that our online accessory store can ship a replacement set of media." 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some models that have the media keys have the media keys as default, some have the function keys as default. Some allow you to change the defaults in the BIOS and some do not. You can check your BIOS to see if you are allowed to change that. If they are set as function keys then F12 gives you the boot menu (assuming the boot menu is enabled in the BIOS), if set as media keys than you need the Fn key to get to function keys, so Fn-F12 is what you need.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Thanks Billsey, I'll check out BUT I was told " our software engineers verify the media is correct for each unit" That is BS as they hadn't even corrected the instructin sheet. Hey I'm just a user not a Computer Savvy Tech, I could find no user manual included on the USB either. $44.95 plus tax and almost a month waiting, now another month. I don't need it now but would be nice to have and hold. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    I just looked at my Bios RO1-A1 
    I see no mention of "media keys" Note that F12 never gives me access to the BIOS, only the DELETE key does but the FN F12 gives me a boot selection. The normal boot selection doesn't do anything to the recovery USB.

• billsey
    Options
    Yes, the F12 function during POST is to provide a boot menu, not access to the BIOS. Some of the BIOSes allow that selection in a more advanced menu reached by hitting a shift-F2 while in the BIOS, but sometimes only at the right screen and sometimes requiring the shift-Fn-F2...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I got a replacement from ACER, it does indeed work with only F12 however I still get ERROR 26150. See attached pictures. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
  • billsey
    Options
    Boy, I'm at a loss then... It looks like it's still trying to read the USB when the failure happens, rather than getting into the restore itself but it might be that it recognizes the image and fails at first write attempt on the drive. You could try a different USB port I suppose, just to make sure it's not an issue in reading from that.
  • Larryodie
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I tried it on all 4 USB 2.0 Ports plus the 3.0 and 3.1 port. Same thing.
    I disconnected all but the mouse and Keyboard too. 
    I also copied it to another USB. Same results...it actually booted.
    I'm going to call technical support again. With my hearing and foreigners that is usually hopeless but I'll try as I know nothing else to do. Thanks for your time. 
    Any thought as what "image status" that they're checking ??  
  • Larryodie
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I've made a big discovery. I had switched keyboards from another older computer as it is bigger. NOW I can do an ALT F10 and get this screen thus now I can do a factory default recover without going to windows. ALSO with the original keyboard, I have to do a FN F12 instead of a F12 alone to get to Boot manager. It seems that keyboards do different things ? Now with the original keyboard , I don't get passed boot manager but not worried as ALT F10 works. It confusing.

• Larryodie
    Options
    So in final analysis.
    Original Keyboard, do a FN F12 to get to the Boot Menu for the recovery USB.
    Replacement Keyboard just do a F12 to get to the boot menu for the recovery USB.

Original Keyboard ALT, tapping F10 does NOTHING
    Replacement Keyboard  ALT and tapping F10 gets to this menu. 

• Larryodie
    edited April 2021
    Options
    A footnote: After making a copy of the recovery USB, the original is no longer a bootable device. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    I talked to Technical Support.  The USB System Recovery Drive is for only a "CRASH"  BLUE SCREEN Situation. So I'll try the ALT F10 with my replacement keyboard and report back. 
  • billsey
    Options
    It sounds like the original keyboard is in media mode, so any F# keys will require the Fn modifier. Fn-Alt-F10 should work with it...
  • Larryodie
    Options
    It works ok on an older HP, and the older HP keyboard works OK on the TC895-UA92.
    Something strange but all is good as I'm used to the older keyboard and hardly use the older HP. 
    Thanks for your time. Also I'm not totally satisfied with supports answer on the USB recovery drive. 
    I also did a  ALT-F1). It didn't reset everything to factory...it ever reformatted. I'm not sure as what it did except restored to a previous setting ??
    Note to everyone make a System Repair Disk. Thanks for your help Billsey. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    I'm sorry as I posted misinformation on the ACER keyboard working on a older HP as actually I can't get ALT-F11 to work on it with either keyboard nor other keys. The hard drive had been changed. The ACER keyboard does work OK otherwise. I was mis-informed and I didn't check it. Sorry

• billsey
    Options
    Alt-Fn-F11 should work instead of just Alt-F11.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    No, nothing worked on the older HP Pavilon P6510 with either keyboard but the OEM hard drive had been replaced years ago and not cloned, so the recovery files are gone. I use it as a 2nd computer as the video chip bogs it down and the fan runs a lots.  
  • JoseTech04
    JoseTech04 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2022
    Options

I’m having the same problem right know. I thing the cause of that error is using a different hard drive that the original one but I can’t test that right now.

• Larryodie
    Options
    My Computer was new and never have been opened. I was told that the recovery disk wouldn't work unless you're in a blue screen situation ?