Acer Aspire f5-573g won't boot with battery connected

Chmmielu
Chmmielu Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi,
I recently encountered a problem with Acer f5-573. I wanted to change thermal paste and add an M2 SSD. After removing the back plate I disconnected the battery, changed thermal paste, added a new drive, connected the battery back and now laptop won't boot up.
When I connect external charger the battery LED lights up but I get no post screen after turning it on. The screen lights up though.
I tried disconnecting the battery and powering up the laptop with external charger only and to my surprise - it works normally.
I tried clearing CMOS and uninstalling Microsoft battery driver but nothing seems to work. 
To my knowledge, battery used to work fine (2 hours of work time on full charge).
Did I do something wrong? Will buying a new battery solve the problem? 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    When you open the service hatch you can view a micro switch which disconnects the battery when you remove the cover, if the button is not pressed properly it may cause problem, so I would suggest you check the rubber on the service door for any damage, also make sure that you don't overtighten the screws.

• Chmmielu
    edited March 2021
    Hi,
    When you open the service hatch you can view a micro switch which disconnects the battery when you remove the cover, if the button is not pressed properly it may cause problem, so I would suggest you check the rubber on the service door for any damage, also make sure that you don't overtighten the screws.

Thank you so much for the answer. 
    I didn't know about this battery switch before but I plugged the battery back in, assembled laptop without tighting the screws too much. It still doesn't turn on though but if I press the battery switch you showed in your reply the laptop makes some high pitch noises so I assume it works.
    You told me to check the "rubber on the service door". What does it exactly mean? 
  • brummyfan2
    OK, the cover you have removed should have a rectangular rubber similar to one in my snip(this is from a different laptop), that rubber presses the switch when you put the cover back, if the rubber is worn out or damaged, it won't press the button properly, if you see any damage, apply some non-conductive tape on the rubber only to increase the thickness of the rubber, so that it can properly press the button.

• Chmmielu
    OK, the cover you have removed should have a rectangular rubber similar to one in my snip(this is from a different laptop), that rubber presses the switch when you put the cover back, if the rubber is worn out or damaged, it won't press the button properly, if you see any damage, apply some non-conductive tape on the rubber only to increase the thickness of the rubber, so that it can properly press the button.

Ok I found it. It's not worn out a bit as this laptop was never taken apart before. I still have the same results as before - black screen with no post (connected both battery and power adapter) and no startup with only battery connected whatsoever... I don't have any more ideas
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    I have also run out of ideas, if you are within the warranty period send it for a service repair, if not take it to a local laptop repair shop and get it fixed.
    Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region