Triton 500 LCD Overdrive bug semi-permanent fix

Options
Agent0013
Agent0013 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi everyone. Seems that only I have constant problems with LCD Overdrive function in Predator sense.
The problem is, even if LCD Overdrive is OFF in settings, it turns back on on restart. And switch is inverted, so OFF means ON, and vise versa.
But the main problem is, Overdrive creates terrible (pixel overshoot) ghosting effect everywhere, from games to text reading. Maybe I don't understand something, but why implement function, which makes screen look terrible, and make it always on? And how it passed inspection, and made it to production units, and was never fixed?

Anyway, we have a laptop:
Acer Predator Triton 500. PT-515-51
LCD Model NV156FHM-N4K, 144Hz 1920x1080
Predator sense version 3.0.3138
Overdrive turns ON on startup, and the only way to turn it OFF is go to predator sense, and toggle Overdrive switch OFF, and back ON, to make Overdrive OFF.

After using laptop for 1 and a half year, I found 2 solutions.
1. Permanent.
Turn overdrive switch to ON, which corresponds overdrive off, and uninstall predator sense app and service.
This fixes overdrive problem permanently, but you loose control to turbo button, keyboard backlight control (I personally prefer white backlight, and default is blue). If you can live with it - go with this method, as it guarantees the result.

2. Semi-permanent (sometimes needs interaction with predator sense)
After researching predator sense, hundreds of reisntalls and searching for working version, I found that upon install and first launch, Predator Sense app works normally, and if you don't touch overdrive switch, after restart Overdrive is still OFF. Only after second restart, app launch and third restart, overdrive turns ON automatically, and turns ON every time.
So I analyzed registry, and found difference in 5 keys from 1st launch to 3rd. After reverting these keys to earlier state, after restart, overdrive again was OFF. So we kind of have a fix there. You only need to change registry keys back to original every time you run predator sense. But also I found out, that changing them on system startup also works, but Overdrive must be OFF (switch in Predator Sense to ON).

So to fix overshoot ghosting, you need to run these commands on startup:
(the easiest way is make a .cmd file, and run it with Task Scheduler on system startup, before user log in)
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\AdvanceSettings" /t REG_DWORD /v LCDOverDrive /d 00000000 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\UEIP\AdvanceSettings" /t REG_SZ /v LCDOverDrive /d 0,0 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\UEIP\AdvanceSettings" /t REG_SZ /v WinAndMenuKey /d 1,0 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\UEIP\AdvanceSettings" /t REG_SZ /v Degree /d 0,0 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\UEIP\FanControl" /t REG_SZ /v CurrentFanMode /d 0,0 /f
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\PredatorSense\UEIP\Hotkey" /t REG_SZ /v PredatorSenseKey /d -1,0 /f

I don't know why, but only when all of these values changed, overdrive does not keep turning on automatically. Removing at least one, and bug is still there. Also sometimes, when laptop is not turned off for a long time, after sleep Overdrive is ON again, then you need to toggle Overdrive switch in Predator Sense, and run these commands on demand.

I hope this will help someone.

ATTENTION!
Modifying registry in a wrong way can make your windows stop working, so ALWAYS backup your registry and important data before doing modifications.
This fix was tested only on my machine, and it works for a few months now. I can not guarantee that it will work on other configurations. But if you are sick of overdrive, like me, at least it worth a try.

Good luck.