Spin 15 not charging

Options
jeffSpin15
jeffSpin15 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello, I had to replace the battery in a Spin 15. Ive done the "hold Refresh and start for 10 secs" with no success. After I removed the new battery and held in the Start for 30 secs, replaced the battery, now I get an alternating orange and blue light flashing, just once each but continuously. I have searched but cannot find a light code guide. Any solutions for this? Thank You!

Best Answer

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, I had to replace the battery in a Spin 15. Ive done the "hold Refresh and start for 10 secs" with no success. After I removed the new battery and held in the Start for 30 secs, replaced the battery, now I get an alternating orange and blue light flashing, just once each but continuously. I have searched but cannot find a light code guide. Any solutions for this? Thank You!
    jack22 got confused i guess. its a chrombook. Anyways since you have replaced the battery and did refresh and power button options. there is nothing much of TS we can do on this. a new battery needs to be plugged in for few hrs. maybe that can give these resemblance. lets keep it charged for few hrs and then check. Hope its the same compatible battery which was replaced. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @jeffSpin15
    Since you said you have replaced the battery , try to check with different charger and see. Try the below step as well
    Go to device manager and uninstall the battery driver and restart the unit and check

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jack22 got confused i guess. its a chrombook. Anyways since you have replaced the battery and did refresh and power button options. there is nothing much of TS we can do on this. a new battery needs to be plugged in for few hrs. maybe that can give these resemblance. lets keep it charged for few hrs and then check. Hope its the same compatible battery which was replaced. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • jeffSpin15
    Options
    christy1 said:
    That about what I was thinking but was hoping there might be some hope it could be saved, only 2 yrs old. Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Is there a chance the new battery was the wrong one, or was bad? How bad was the original one? What were the symptoms you were seeing with it?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jeffSpin15
    Options
    billsey said:
    Is there a chance the new battery was the wrong one, or was bad? How bad was the original one? What were the symptoms you were seeing with it?
    Battery: none of the different reset tricks worked to get it to start charging or turn on (no lights at all). The new battery is the correct replacement and when plugged in I got the orange light flashing this  time but but with an alternating blue flash. Still none of the usual reset tricks worked. I talked to a computer repair guy today who asked me some questions and he thinks the motherboard is bad, says the chromebook should powerup with the cord plugged in and the battery unplugged, it doesnt.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    He might or might not be right there. The motherboard design can handle power in two different ways. It can run the motherboard off the power supply and at the same time charge the battery, only using the power in the battery when the AC is disconnected, which is what he is assuming. A simpler design that is often used in laptops is to always run off the battery and only use the AC to charge the battery. In the second case it won't run without a battery even if the AC is plugged in.
    In your case is does sound like there's an issue in the charging circuit. I haven't seen the flashing two colors symptom before though, so can't really make a guess as to what it's trying to tell you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.