Acer GX-785-ER13 Upgrade Help

Options
jarunkus
jarunkus Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello, I have a GX-785-ER13 (i5 7400, 1060 3gb) and I want to do some upgrading to play video games. My main interest is an SSD, but I don't know what kind would fit in the computer. What other upgrades would be priorities for this computer? Thanks and I apologize for my lack of computer knowledge!

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Start with the SSD, it's going to make more of a difference than anything else. You can leave the old HDD for a data drive and install a new M.2 SATA drive, not NMVe. Next monitor memory usage during your normal sessions. If you are getting up over 75-80% usage look into a memory upgrade. Next is the GPU but look into power requirements for an upgrade. You have a 500W PSU so should be good with most new GPU, but the higher end versions will require a bigger supply.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Because your motherboard doesn't support NVMe drives on the M.2 port, just SATA. Working is much, much faster than not working. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• jarunkus
    Options
    Thank you, that is very helpful. Do you have any suggestions for cpu or gpu upgrades?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Start with the SSD, it's going to make more of a difference than anything else. You can leave the old HDD for a data drive and install a new M.2 SATA drive, not NMVe. Next monitor memory usage during your normal sessions. If you are getting up over 75-80% usage look into a memory upgrade. Next is the GPU but look into power requirements for an upgrade. You have a 500W PSU so should be good with most new GPU, but the higher end versions will require a bigger supply.
  • jarunkus
    Options
    Sounds good, the SSD is definitely the priority. What's the difference between SATA and NMVe?
  • jarunkus
    Options
    jarunkus said:
    Sounds good, the SSD is definitely the priority. What's the difference between SATA and NMVe?
    I managed to figure this out on my own, but I'm still unsure as to what particular SSD I'd want to get. What should I be looking for?
  • jarunkus
    Options
    billsey said:
    Start with the SSD, it's going to make more of a difference than anything else. You can leave the old HDD for a data drive and install a new M.2 SATA drive, not NMVe. Next monitor memory usage during your normal sessions. 
    From what I've seen in my search, SATA isn't that much cheaper and performs worse than NMVe. Why would you recommend SATA?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Because your motherboard doesn't support NVMe drives on the M.2 port, just SATA. Working is much, much faster than not working. :)
  • jarunkus
    Options
    billsey said:
    Oh! Yeah, that would do it, thank you very much  :)
This discussion has been closed.