How far can trickle charging damage a healthy battery?

Options
LucciSalvatore
LucciSalvatore Member Posts: 1 New User
I recently upgraded to a Predator Helios 300 and I developed a new habit of keeping the laptop connected to AC most of the time I use it (~8 hours/day). Also I am aware that my laptop uses some kind of 'smart' pin (center pin) for charging. However, what happens after the battery is fully charged (100%)? Does the laptop leave the battery untouched and solely feeds on AC power? Or does it use a combination of battery + AC power to boost performance (suppose i got High Performance plan switched on) and recharges the battery once it dropped to 99.99% (trickle charging)? Also, is it safe leaving my laptop battery charging overnight?

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,801 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm also using my laptop with AC connected all the time. This doesn't affect my battery health very much. The laptop will switch to AC power when the battery is 100%. I think the laptop will use combination of AC and battery power under heavy loads but it is unlikely. I left my laptop plugged to AC for many years and everything seemed to be fine for me.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,801 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm also using my laptop with AC connected all the time. This doesn't affect my battery health very much. The laptop will switch to AC power when the battery is 100%. I think the laptop will use combination of AC and battery power under heavy loads but it is unlikely. I left my laptop plugged to AC for many years and everything seemed to be fine for me.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!