Acer Swift 3 Sf314-57-75yp crazy fan sound

Options
Batmaci
Batmaci Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
my 1 year old Acer Swift 3 Sf314-57-75yp makes crazy sound sometimes. Especially when i use it on a slightly inclined position. For example i am using a laptop stander with lik 60° inclined and whenever i do that like in the attached video, fan goes crazy. Any idea what could be the problem? I can open it and try to clean if it is some dust problem but it will be against warranty i think. Has anyone experienced this sound?

Video:
https://gofile.io/d/A6atfr

Answers

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @Batmaci

There's a chance that it could be dust. But there's some troubleshoot for these fan noises, let's try & see if this works, if not you may have to send it in for a repar. The warranty should be good if you upgrade RAM or Storage, cleaning dust is okay. Try this, unplug the charger, turn off computer, under the laptop next to the vent, try and find a tiny pinhole with battery icon. Use a suitable tool to insert it, all the way in, hold it down for 30-40 secs. Then, plug in the charger, keep tapping F2 when turning on the computer. Takes you to BIOS settings, tap F9>>ENTER>>F10>>ENTER. Please share an update.
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Batmaci
    most of the issue on fan sound is because of the blocks on it. try to clean the area. it should be working fine. how about the heat on the laptop.

>>if you're running CPU-intensive processes, like games or video conversions. If you aren't doing one of these things, you'll definitely want to see if another process is eating up your CPU for no reason. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager. Check the processes tab to see if anything's taking up an abnormally large percent of your CPU's power—usually, if something's out of control, it'll be up close to 100. f everything's relatively low, single-digits or maybe the tens, then it isn't your CPU going out of control, it's the fan itself.

>> Remove any programs you're not using and disable as many background processes as possible. If the fans continue to spin loudly even when you're not using resource-intensive software, consider opening up the laptop and using compressed air to clean dust out the inside. Only do this if your laptop isn't under warranty, as opening the laptop will void it in few countries. Replacing the old thermal paste on the heat sink can also reduce heat (and thus fan noise), but only do so if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly and repair.Cleaning Your Laptop Cooling System  3 Steps with Pictures -  Instructables

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Batmaci
    Options
    Tachi13 said:
    Hi @Batmaci

There's a chance that it could be dust. But there's some troubleshoot for these fan noises, let's try & see if this works, if not you may have to send it in for a repar. The warranty should be good if you upgrade RAM or Storage, cleaning dust is okay. Try this, unplug the charger, turn off computer, under the laptop next to the vent, try and find a tiny pinhole with battery icon. Use a suitable tool to insert it, all the way in, hold it down for 30-40 secs. Then, plug in the charger, keep tapping F2 when turning on the computer. Takes you to BIOS settings, tap F9>>ENTER>>F10>>ENTER. Please share an update.
    is that causing a bios reset? because i have updated my bios version. Original version when i bought had a problem with the graphic card driver and bios update helped. not that i downgrade to the earlier version :)
  • Batmaci
    Options
    christy1 said:
    Batmaci
    most of the issue on fan sound is because of the blocks on it. try to clean the area. it should be working fine. how about the heat on the laptop.

>>if you're running CPU-intensive processes, like games or video conversions. If you aren't doing one of these things, you'll definitely want to see if another process is eating up your CPU for no reason. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager. Check the processes tab to see if anything's taking up an abnormally large percent of your CPU's power—usually, if something's out of control, it'll be up close to 100. f everything's relatively low, single-digits or maybe the tens, then it isn't your CPU going out of control, it's the fan itself.

>> Remove any programs you're not using and disable as many background processes as possible. If the fans continue to spin loudly even when you're not using resource-intensive software, consider opening up the laptop and using compressed air to clean dust out the inside. Only do this if your laptop isn't under warranty, as opening the laptop will void it in few countries. Replacing the old thermal paste on the heat sink can also reduce heat (and thus fan noise), but only do so if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly and repair.

Heat seems to be fine. I am using usually some dev tools like android studio. visual studio etc. having even multiple instances open. I believe that it is not from heavy cpu or gpu usage because this occurs usually when i incline the laptop. i can simply reproduce by holding the keyboard part vertically. if i hold it like a minute or more, it will start producing this sound. once i lay it down on a flat area, it will stop after 10secs. I have seen many fan issues before but this is strange issue only happens when keyboard is not on a flat surface
  • christy1
    Options
    Batmaci said:
    christy1 said:
    Batmaci

>> Remove any programs you're not using and disable as many background processes as possible. If the fans continue to spin loudly even when you're not using resource-intensive software, consider opening up the laptop and using compressed air to clean dust out the inside. Only do this if your laptop isn't under warranty, as opening the laptop will void it in few countries. Replacing the old thermal paste on the heat sink can also reduce heat (and thus fan noise), but only do so if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly and repair.

Heat seems to be fine. I am using usually some dev tools like android studio. visual studio etc. having even multiple instances open. I believe that it is not from heavy cpu or gpu usage because this occurs usually when i incline the laptop. i can simply reproduce by holding the keyboard part vertically. if i hold it like a minute or more, it will start producing this sound. once i lay it down on a flat area, it will stop after 10secs. I have seen many fan issues before but this is strange issue only happens when keyboard is not on a flat surface
    May be its loose or part above it is. Any dent r wire inside?
  • Batmaci
    Options
    Good point. i think that i have to unscrew it and check it. it could be a loose fan causing. 
  • christy1
    Options
    Batmaci said:
    Good point. i think that i have to unscrew it and check it. it could be a loose fan causing. 
    Good luck. :+1:
  • Batmaci
    Options
    Just coming back to this thread to give an answer for people who may experience similar problem. Indeed it was caused by the graphic cards driver update. I have updated to the latest version over the intels website and this crazy problem occurred. I dont know why but I downgraded back  to the version what acer website suggests and this problem didn't appear since then.