whether I can upgrade RAM on my laptop (ACER NITRO NP515-51 i5-8250U)

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: I have an acer nitro spin 5, can I upgrade ram and ssd?.

Comments

• Shesh12
    Shesh12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hi Brummyfan2

Could you please let me know whether I can upgrade RAM on my laptop (ACER NITRO NP515-51 i5-8250U)

Your above answer says YES and below answer in link says NO
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539286/acer-nitro-5-spin-ram-ssd-upgrade
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Shesh12 said:
    Hi Brummyfan2

Could you please let me know whether I can upgrade RAM on my laptop (ACER NITRO NP515-51 i5-8250U)

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539286/acer-nitro-5-spin-ram-ssd-upgrade
    Hi,
    Yes, I have shown some links as evidence, the link you mentioned was a year older than this reply, in between someone else might have succeeded installing a M.2 NVMe SSD.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Shesh12 said:
    Hi Brummyfan2

Your Nitro Spin 5 NP515-51 with the Intel Core i5-8250U and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB GDDR5) has an M.2 Slot and can take a 1x 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD (see caption below of it fitted) if thats your model? As far as the ram, the best thing to do to find the max memory capacity of your NP515-51 is to do it through cmd prompt as administrator and put this command in: systeminfo | findstr /C:"Total Physical Memory" which will give you the total memory capacity that your system can take which should be 32GB (which is what one of the memory manufacturers like Crucial give as a reference) which could also not be necessarily correct, that is why I would check through cmd prompt to make sure.

Also and if you want to add the same and 1x extra stick to match your existing ram's capacity and timing then, I would use CPUZ and look in its SPD section to get your existing ram's specs and match your existing ram exactly with a new 1x stick of ram, as that will also make the 2x matching ram sticks work at "Dual Channels", otherwise combining slower or faster ram will be a waste of money as 2x sticks of unmatched ram always run at the slowest speed and timing that the combined pair has.

Btw, if you don’t want to use your existing ram then I would upgrade to a kit of let’s say; 2x whatever capacity you want or can afford of the max specs of DDR4-2666MHz type ram, don’t go any higher, as putting e.g. DDR-3200MHz or like the overclocked Crucial Ballistix or Ballistix Sport LT type ram might not work and your laptop won't boot. Good luckand hope this helps, keep safe. 

M.2 Slot and can take a 1x 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
  • Shesh12
    Shesh12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Brummyfan2 - Thanks buddy

StevenGen -
    - SSD
    Which one will give me highest performance? - this one "M.2 Slot and can take a 1x 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD"? or do you have another in mind?

- RAM
    CMD shows as below - So I guess this the end of discussion about RAM upgrade, right? or there is a way still?

• Aadit
    Aadit Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    Shesh12 said:
    Brummyfan2 - Thanks buddy

StevenGen -
    - SSD
    Which one will give me highest performance? - this one "M.2 Slot and can take a 1x 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD"? or do you have another in mind?

- RAM
    CMD shows as below - So I guess this the end of discussion about RAM upgrade, right? or there is a way still?

So basically the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. You can de-solder the existing ram and solder an upgrade but it is a risky process, however after warranty is over and if you badly need a ram upgrade some talented technicians can do this for you. I also advice changing the thermal paste after 1 or 2 years and go for thermal grizzly kryonaut for optimal thermal performance. I have also used standby list cleaner and throttle stop to suck some more performance from my laptop. Contact me if you require the values I set for my i7 8550U.