Aspire TC 120-ES21was upgrade to Windows 10 and is now crashing

The machine was upgrade about a year ago to W10 and was working well until recently when it would crash and hang at different times. 
1. Is there a BIOS update for this machine that can now take the W10 upgrades?
2. Can I re-install a version of W10 that can run on this machine?

The TC-120 is not on the list of approved desktop for W10 upgrade. I found this out after unfortunately.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    The machine was upgrade about a year ago to W10 and was working well until recently when it would crash and hang at different times. 

The TC-120 is not on the list of approved desktop for W10 upgrade. I found this out after unfortunately.

Dalton1688” just tobe helpful and give you some advice, your Acer Aspire TC-120-ES21 can easily handle Win-10 latest version, I run Win-10 20H2-19042.804 which is the latest on a 9 years old laptop like the V3-571G and it works 100% and unbelievably quick, ok I’ve upgraded its ram with 2x DDR3-1866Mhz and its running a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5” SSD but, your TC-120-ES21 has much higher specs than the V3-571G laptop, so you shouldn’t have any problems with the latest Win-10!

Also, that is why you are having these crashes and your computer hangs at different times because its an “Upgrade” from Win-8, 8.1 or 7 as a "Clean Install" is the best way to go as its clean and the HDD is formatted clean without any corrupt files and conflicting files to crash your system, never do an upgrade unless you have to, back all your older files up first and then do a clean install of Win-10, its will be 100% workable and and will not come undone with errors, bluescreens etc etc. The TC-120 will work 100% with Win-10 because its specs are pretty mid range to high, it can take a Max Memory of 32GB into its 4x slots (2 banks of 2) and comes with standard memory of 8GB removable, it has a driver interface of version: SATA 3 at 6GB/s and serial ATA support for 1 drive, that is more than enough to run Win 10 current version. Now to answer your questions:

1. I would update the TC-120 BIOS to the last BIOS update, dated 2020/01/25 and to version: P11-A4, use the BIOS Appendix folder and the PDF doc from the “Appendix” called “Win Flash Utility SOP v1.2” as the instructions on how to do the BIOS update through Win-10. The actual BIOS executable update file is in the "WIN Folder" and it’s called "afuwinx64" then follow the guide of how to update the BIOS, if you haven’t got this update already? Note: and be very careful and follow all guides of how to update the BIOS of your TC-120, if you don’t know how to do it? Then get someone that can and don’t do it yourself as you can brick your TC-120. As and if a power supply is interrupted or broken and/or a faulty USB executable drive has any errors this can corrupt the BIOS update and cause your computer to be bricked, be very careful and use a new USB and make sure that the power supply is 100% to the computer, also disable any anti-virus and/or any applications that are running while the BIOS is being updated. 

2. Do a complete “Clean Install” of Win-10, first Create Windows 10 installation media with the tool and then boot onto this USB and do the “How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10” from this link, this shows you how to exactly do the Win-10 installation USB and the exact steps for the “Clean Install” under its title “Installation”

It’s a very simple process if you do things correctly as your Aspire TC-120-ES21 desktop most defiantly has more than adequate specs to handle Win-10 20H2-19042.804 latest version proficiently and adequately, good luck.

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Dalton1688
    try the internal reset with alt f10 or altgr f10 during the start of the unit. 
    1. hit trouble shoot.
    2. Click Get started under Reset this PC.
    3. Click Remove everything. ->just remove my files->Reset.
    5. Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    First let's look at what might actually be causing the crashes. Boot into Safe Mode and run the system for long enough to tell if it's still crashing or not. If the crashes happen in Safe Mode then the issue is likely in Windows, if it's stable in Safe Mode then the issue is either with addon hardware or software. Don't go through the effort of reinstalling the OS until you find that the OS is the problem.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓

Dalton1688” just tobe helpful and give you some advice, your Acer Aspire TC-120-ES21 can easily handle Win-10 latest version, I run Win-10 20H2-19042.804 which is the latest on a 9 years old laptop like the V3-571G and it works 100% and unbelievably quick, ok I’ve upgraded its ram with 2x DDR3-1866Mhz and its running a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5” SSD but, your TC-120-ES21 has much higher specs than the V3-571G laptop, so you shouldn’t have any problems with the latest Win-10!

Also, that is why you are having these crashes and your computer hangs at different times because its an “Upgrade” from Win-8, 8.1 or 7 as a "Clean Install" is the best way to go as its clean and the HDD is formatted clean without any corrupt files and conflicting files to crash your system, never do an upgrade unless you have to, back all your older files up first and then do a clean install of Win-10, its will be 100% workable and and will not come undone with errors, bluescreens etc etc. The TC-120 will work 100% with Win-10 because its specs are pretty mid range to high, it can take a Max Memory of 32GB into its 4x slots (2 banks of 2) and comes with standard memory of 8GB removable, it has a driver interface of version: SATA 3 at 6GB/s and serial ATA support for 1 drive, that is more than enough to run Win 10 current version. Now to answer your questions:

1. I would update the TC-120 BIOS to the last BIOS update, dated 2020/01/25 and to version: P11-A4, use the BIOS Appendix folder and the PDF doc from the “Appendix” called “Win Flash Utility SOP v1.2” as the instructions on how to do the BIOS update through Win-10. The actual BIOS executable update file is in the "WIN Folder" and it’s called "afuwinx64" then follow the guide of how to update the BIOS, if you haven’t got this update already? Note: and be very careful and follow all guides of how to update the BIOS of your TC-120, if you don’t know how to do it? Then get someone that can and don’t do it yourself as you can brick your TC-120. As and if a power supply is interrupted or broken and/or a faulty USB executable drive has any errors this can corrupt the BIOS update and cause your computer to be bricked, be very careful and use a new USB and make sure that the power supply is 100% to the computer, also disable any anti-virus and/or any applications that are running while the BIOS is being updated. 

2. Do a complete “Clean Install” of Win-10, first Create Windows 10 installation media with the tool and then boot onto this USB and do the “How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10” from this link, this shows you how to exactly do the Win-10 installation USB and the exact steps for the “Clean Install” under its title “Installation”

It’s a very simple process if you do things correctly as your Aspire TC-120-ES21 desktop most defiantly has more than adequate specs to handle Win-10 20H2-19042.804 latest version proficiently and adequately, good luck.