This was once a state of the art machine!

edforrest
edforrest Member Posts: 3 New User
It was 2012 and my corporate laptop was a disaster!    I purchased the S3 with an i7 processor...and honestly,  the tiny hard drive made it impossible to use.   Anyway, my wife wants an Internet machine and this one is light and pleasant.

HOWEVER...it is asking for the "last password I used to sign on to the computer".   I have no clue and have run through all the permutations I can imagine...over the last 9 years!   I changed my password to visit you folks..but that is not translating to this effort>

What do I do next,  please!   edwforrest@gmail.com

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    edforrest said:
    It was 2012 and my corporate laptop was a disaster!    I purchased the S3 with an i7 processor...and honestly,  the tiny hard drive made it impossible to use.   Anyway, my wife wants an Internet machine and this one is light and pleasant.

HOWEVER...it is asking for the "last password I used to sign on to the computer".   I have no clue and have run through all the permutations I can imagine...over the last 9 years!   I changed my password to visit you folks..but that is not translating to this effort>

What do I do next,  please!   edwforrest@gmail.com

Firstly, is your Aspire S3 the Aspire S3-391-9695 - 13.3" - Core i7 3537U model?  As this model has SSD and spinner HDD storage and usually comes OEM with 4GB DDR3 SDRAM. Also, Acer Community does not allow any advice on any password or bios related password mods and/or recoveries instructions, so we are restricted in this regard to advise you.

As a guide, it’s best and advisable (as your S3 is pretty old) that you upgrade the existing 500GB spinner HDD and the 20GB SSD, which it seems that you used it as the boot drive, which is far too small for the Win 8.1 (that requires 32-bit system type at least 16GB and at least 20GB for a 64-bit system type, so that is where your problem is.

Upgrade to a new 1x 2.5” SATA 6GB/sec 500GB capacity SSD or higher to make your storage and read/write response times much faster and compatible to today’s technologies and to the latest Win-10 20H2-19042.804 that will run perfectly on this laptop. Also, upgrade the bios to the last version 2.14 dated 2013/04/01 for the BIOS - UEFI Only for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) or the version 1.29 dated 2013/04/01 for the MBT/Legacy BIOS only. Then I would upgrade the ram to 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3 that will give you dual channels) to DDR3-1600mhz or even DDR3-14900MHz ram. I've done this to an Aspire V3-571G that runs an i7-3610QM cpu and it works perfectly and in dual channel and its much quicker than the DDR3-1600MHz. Also the OEM's integrated i7-3537U cpu (that you have) with its Intel HD Graphics 4000 is adequate for today’s graphics (not for gaming or higher graphics so much) but its adequate for what you want to use this laptop for.

Btw, to change and recover passwords (which I don’t advise) there are software(s) that are around for your problem but, we can’t give you any reference/advice to them as its prohibited on this forum. Hope this helps and good luck.