Acer Aspire XC-710 desktop, CPU fan will not stop kicking in.

maccyboi
maccyboi Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Recently my cpu fan will not stop kicking in every 2 mins or so. The pc is about 2 years old and has always been very quiet and have never been able to hear the fan. Now it just starts and stops every couple of mins. I have had the pc professionally checked, all files and programs have been deleted that doesn't need to be there, I have also cleaned the fan and re done the thermal paste but it still will not stop the fans from kicking in. When i say "kicking in" the fan kicks in with 2 speeds, very high and helicopter mode. Any suggestions or do i throw it out the window, it's driving me crazy.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @maccyboi
    Unplug all the wires that goes to the tower including the power cable and press and hold the power button on the tower for 30 seconds and check
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • maccyboi

Tinkerer

Thanks, but yeah I've done this and also cold booted it from running and it makes no difference.

• Jack22
    @maccyboi
    With the help of any local tech try to remove the Ram and replace it back on and check . If still dont work than you need to contact Acer support for help or send it for repair. Check the link below to contact Acer
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • maccyboi

Tinkerer

Ok thank you.
  • Jack22
    @maccyboi
    u welcome :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Try also using a temperature monitoring program to see what temperatures your CPU is running at. The fan might be justified in running fast if things are getting too hot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • maccyboi

Tinkerer

Hey Bill, that's why I'm confused, the cpu runs at 37c and the motherboard at 34c plus its just been thermal pasted so the temperatures are good.
  • billsey
    So there are two fan connectors on the motherboard and they are both four pin, that means they should be getting modulated to spin at an appropriate speed in relation to the CPU. Something has interfered with the normal operation and they are running at full speed even when they aren't supposed to. Have you run any of the apps that are supposed to change fan speed?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • maccyboi

Tinkerer

No I haven't tried anything to alter the speed.
  • billsey
    Have you changed the fans? If not it might be that the fan is failing and no longer recognizes the speed set signals.
  • maccyboi

Tinkerer

No I haven't but its worth looking into though, I'm out of ideas, thanks.

• billsey
    The speed control is handled by the BIOS, IIRC. So if it's not working fully it's more likely to be hardware than software. There are software packages for Windows that take over that control, a lot of the gamers use them when pushing the limits. In those cases it can be the software.