Install Ubuntu on AN515-55: USB boot option desn't appear

juanrico
juanrico Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Help! I can't make the bootable USB stick appear in the boot selection menu. It has already been hours and I have tried rufus (GPT and otherwise), unetbootin (both from Linux, with gparted, and Windows). Following, multiple posts in this forum, I have also already hacked the BIOS menu and set
* secure boot off, with master password.
* fast boot off.
* SATA mode to AHCI, with all the windows safe mode shenanigans.
* F!2 boot menu to enabled.
My boot options are always invariably only:
1. Windows Boot Manager
And it is driving me insane. My system BIOS version is v1.04 and I don't know what to do anymore.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited February 2021
    What USB ports does the laptop have? I have had laptops play funny with USB 3 drives, may be worth trying with a 2.0 in the 2.0 port if it has one! (I know it sounds silly)
  • juanrico

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    @Leostat Indeed I have seen this comment somewhere. I have tried different ports, but all of them are 3.0
  • Leostat
    Out of curisoity, if you burn a windows 10 stick with the media creation tool does it show? just to rule out any port shenanigans
  • juanrico

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    I have not tried that yet, although I have tried two different linux distros. Any good tutorials?
  • Leostat
    This tool will create a bootable USB drive, just click next next next next next :Dhttps://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 
  • juanrico

Tinkerer

Lol! Just to show how long I have not touched Windows.
  • juanrico

Tinkerer

@Leostat Indeed, indeed!! When I create a Windows Boot USB, something appears:
    1. Windows Boot Manager
    2. USB HDD: VendorCoProductCode
    What the heck does this mean?