Is it worth undervolting the Predator Triton 500?

Options
agentofrandom
agentofrandom Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Hi,
I have the predator triton 500 (515-51 w/2080max q), which I understand has a factory undervolt.

ive had thermal issues with this laptop since receiving it, even after sending it back to Acer for repasting.

I recently cleaned the fans and repasted myself, and the average CPU temps are better, but I still get spikes at 95-98 degrees that cause noticeable throttling.

is it worth it to trying to further under volt this past the factory undervolt?

any other recs beyond that for dealing with the thermal issues?

thanks!

Answers

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @agentofrandom

As long as your processor/system is stable with the undervolt, you should not see a difference in performance. The only thing that undervolting should do is to lower the voltage and lower your laptop's temperature. Make sure you give room for ventilation. Gaming laptops does produce a lot of heat when put into much intense use of gaming. Keep atleast 2 inches of distance between the desk surface and the bottom of your laptop for the vent to exhale the hot air. Use an egg tray least. 

Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful! :):)
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
  • agentofrandom
    agentofrandom Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks! I currently have the laptop sitting on a cooling pad I got off Amazon, but I’m not sure how much it helps. Is an egg tray worth trying instead?