Error installing Linux on A315-23G-R2SE

douguinho
douguinho Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hello community, how are you?
I hope well!

Come on, my notebook came with windows 10 from the factory but I've been trying to install linux for a few days but without success, I tried several distros but the installation crashes or gives an error.

By default, SATA Mode came as AHCI and I always disable security boot.

The notebook has AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 8gb ram, 256GB SSD.

Below are the errors:

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited February 2021
    Could you add these 4 to the grub options (taken from here  https://bugs.launchpad.net/amd/+bug/1776563) :

acpi_osi='Windows 2018' acpi_backlight=vendor rcu_nocbs=0-N(number of cores -1) idle=nowait

May also need
    acpi=off
  • douguinho

Tinkerer

Hello @Leostat, thank you for the answer, but where and how I add this 4 to the grub options?
  • Leostat
    when booting  press e on the boot option to get to the edit screen
  • douguinho

Tinkerer

I tryed but I can´t save and continue

• Leostat
    edited February 2021
    For the first one it's ' not backtick , and the rcu is meant to be 0-X where X is the number of cores, for example 0-3 if quad core, 0-7 if octo :) then hit cntrl+x

Also, flicking through the thread it looks like the bios need to be at least 1.15
  • douguinho

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Hi @Leostat tank you for the answer, but I managed to disable ACPI but still presented other errors that are in the images below.

Regarding the BIOS version the most current for my desktop on the acer website was 1.13 and I upgraded to this most current version, however on the acer website they removed this most current version (1.13) and now the newest version is 1.11.

• Leostat
    Well at least we have the proper error now! Just to confirm is secure boot off?

Now we will blacklist the driver which is crashing the kernel, try addinging this to the other 4
    modprobe.blacklist=amdgpu

• douguinho

Tinkerer

Hello @Leostat, thanks for the answer. It worked with acpi = off and when i add modprobe.blacklist = amdgpu now the error appears in the image below:

• Leostat
    edited February 2021
    Works as in without modprobe it boots ok? from the first image there was also a IOMMU error so you could try adding
    iommu=off

Though i must admit im supprised its not booting yet :s The last one doesnt hint at why the kernel isnt reaching init

the other thing is the first line is complaing about timer which may be APIC (  https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/x86_64/boot-options.txt  )
    you could try adding one of these options (only one at a time after the iommu one):
    noapictimer
    no_timer_check 
    noapic  

Failing that, you could try with either ubuntu 20.10 for a newer kernel 5.8, or Fedora 33 which has a even newer kernel (5.10). I saw 5.10 has quite a few improvments for Ryzen chips