Acer Aspire TC-875-ER12 PSU replacement

Options
Hi,  I got a TC-875-ER12 as a spare PC and I'm looking to swap out the PSU so that I can add a GPU, as the original doesn't have any spare connectors.  Can anyone confirm that the pinouts for the 2 ATX connectors are standard?  The 4-pin looks correct but the 6-pin on the OEM PSU is using some higher gauge white and green wires instead of the black and gold I'd expect.  That concerns me.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You have a 300W ATX12VO PSU, I believe. Acer ships other models with a 500W supply and getting one of those seems to be about the only way to get a bigger one, other than waiting for the third parties to get around to selling these new PSU types.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SpaceCoyote
    SpaceCoyote Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    The 12VO standard connector is still a 10-pin and this thing uses a 6 and a 4 separately.  The B46H5-AD diagram you posted in a different thread seems to just call connector #4 "ATX Power".  It's unfortunate it doesn't have a pinout.  Even if I ordered a 12VO PSU I don't know if it would have the right connector.  I'd have no problem making an adapter if I knew for sure what the pins are.
  • SpaceCoyote

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Options
    See below. The green should be PS_ON, the blacks GND but the whites are normally -5V?

• SpaceCoyote

Tinkerer

Options
    This is the connector.  The green should be PS_ON, the blacks are GND but aren't whites normally -5V?

• SpaceCoyote

Tinkerer

Options
    Rather than continuing to be lazy I just pulled it out and tested it myself, so I'll throw a few keywords in here for anyone who in the dark and distant future is looking for the same information.

The Acer Aspire TC-875-ER12 contains a B46H5-AD motherboard, powered by a FSP300-10TAA PSU.  The PSU is 12VO in a TFX form factor (W8.5mm x H6.5mm x D15mm) and has 2-and-only-2 connectors.  The first is a standard 4-pin ATX connector for the CPU (1 - GND(B), 2 - GND(B), 3 - +12V(Y), 4 - +12V(Y)).  The second is a 6-pin ATX-style connector for the motherboard and on-board peripherals (seen above).  It is keyed the same as a 6-pin PCIe connector, but does not use the standard pinout.  Instead it appears to be 1 - GND(B), 2 - GND(B), 3 - PS_ON(G), 4 - +12V(W), 5 - +12V(W), 6 - empty.  This is based on me and a voltmeter, not any sort of spec or official documentation so take that for what it's worth.  Also, I don't know the significance of using W for the +12V instead of the standard Y.

There is a vacant SATA power connector with the +12V and GND lines connected; however, I wouldn't be comfortable using an adapter and pulling the wattage a GPU would require through the onboard SATA power connectors.  There are 300W to 500W TFX PSUs available for purchase online and I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to use one of those with the caveat that it would require a custom adapter for the 6-pin connector on the motherboard.

In the event I feel adventurous enough to try and rig this up I will come back and update this thread with the results.
  • EDSX
    EDSX Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Options
    I just purchased a TC-785 with same model PS and motherboard connections you have in the pics.  I added in an Asus Cerberus GTX 1050ti OG4 graphics card.  I know the PS is 300W, and should be able to handle things, but to be safe, I would rather replace it with Silverstone 300 or 500 PS of the same dimensions, but as you pointed out, the stock PS has the weird green wire, and the Silverstone PS's have different cable/connector wire colors & pin-out. Thank for taking time to provide the info above that you did.
  • EDSX
    EDSX Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    In my case, the GTX 1050 t i is a very popular graphics card and making a comeback here recently, due to the fact that it does work well with 300 watt power supplies, and has a lot of processing power.
    That being said, I foresee myself going to a more powerful graphics card down the road, even if it is just an upgrade to a GTX 1665 super or to something even more powerful. At any rate, the stock FPS power supply kind of makes me nervous, especially as small as it is which is why I set out to do a search on similar power supplies that are made to those exact dimensions. Like I said above, the only ones I could find are made by a company named Silverstone, and they make them in 300, 500, and 700 watt versions. I've been eyeballing the 500w one as a potential solution if and when I ever upgrade my graphics card