Acer 5735Z upgraded from Vista to Win 10, now won't play some videos

Videostar
Videostar Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Originally supplied with Vista, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and replaced the HDD with a new 256GB SSD. Everything appeared to work OK at first but the more I used it the more I found some video files on websites gave me either a still picture or reported "unable to play due to unsupported media" (or similar wording). It is really annoying to have to boot up the main PC just to see one file. Anyone got any ideas how to solve this ? I have checked that Windows Media Player is installed.

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Videostar

is the ssd compatible for your device. how about the memory.  
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Videostar

Tinkerer

Hi @christy1, the memory is the original supplied from new and shows no errors. The SSD is an Intenso SATA 3 with SMART and TRIM command support. After your comment, I have run a test on it and got no errors. Everything else works fine. If it helps, the problem seems to have occurred after Flash Player was killed off.
  • christy1
    Videostar said:
    Hi @christy1, the memory is the original supplied from new and shows no errors. The SSD is an Intenso SATA 3 with SMART and TRIM command support. After your comment, I have run a test on it and got no errors. Everything else works fine. If it helps, the problem seems to have occurred after Flash Player was killed off.
    your correct, install the flash player. download an alternative and check. 
    https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

• Videostar

Tinkerer

Hi @christy1, what do you suggest as an alternative considering Adobe told me to uninstall Flash Player (and you can no longer download it) also I did hear that the latest Windows 10 kills it off anyway.
  • christy1
    Videostar said:
    Hi @christy1, what do you suggest as an alternative considering Adobe told me to uninstall Flash Player (and you can no longer download it) also I did hear that the latest Windows 10 kills it off anyway.
    yes. check in playstore for a flash player. normally if the windows update is done it works fine. if not try to get one from playstore.
    go to settings>>>update and security>>>windows update and check for update to  update the unit. 
    Image result for windows update
  • NoelMP4
    NoelMP4 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    christy1 said:
    yes. check in playstore for a flash player. normally if the windows update is done it works fine. if not try to get one from playstore.
    go to settings>>>update and security>>>windows update and check for update to  update the unit.

I'm afraid there are really no alternatives for flash player, christy1.

A recent Windows Update scan would install the KB4577586 update, which would remove the embedded flash player that came with Windows 10.  this update was an Optional Update when it was first released back in late October 2020 but recently Microsoft IS starting to kill it off by "force installing" this KB4577586 update without user consent, according to this recent article from Bleepingcomputer.
  • NoelMP4
    NoelMP4 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    Videostar said:
    Originally supplied with Vista, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and replaced the HDD with a new 256GB SSD. Everything appeared to work OK at first but the more I used it the more I found some video files on websites gave me either a still picture or reported "unable to play due to unsupported media" (or similar wording). It is really annoying to have to boot up the main PC just to see one file. Anyone got any ideas how to solve this ? I have checked that Windows Media Player is installed.

hi Videostar

can you mention which specific web sites that have this problem in which required use of flash player?
    maybe find a program to convert those video files into a different format

• Videostar

Tinkerer

Hi @NoelMP4, it isn't any specific website, it seems to occur at random. I may have no problems viewing pages from a site then the next file will give me a "freeze frame" after a couple of seconds or reports the "unsupported media". I didn't have any problems at all with Vista. This has only happened since I fitted the SSD and installed Win 10 (both at the same time). Unfortunately that also seemed to be at the same time as Flash Player was killed off. I suppose I could try and fit the old HDD, which still has Vista and see what happens but I would have preferred to keep the SSD and don't have a Vista install disc (besides, it was a real pain to change). I was considering changing to Ubuntu but I need to keep windows for a particular piece of software that won't run with Wine and I doubt that the SSD at 256GB is big enough to allow a dual boot system.
  • Videostar

Tinkerer

and @christy1, I have already tried "check for updates" and carried out any updates required, including one recently that I didn't request.