Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi5 SSD Upgrade

mx5guru
mx5guru Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello, I own TC-885-ACCFLi5 for a couple years now. I have a brand new Crucial MX500 1TB laying around. I was gonna install it into my laptop but mobo is shot. So planning to install it in TC-885. Do I need a 3.5 to 2.5 hard drive adapter?

Thanks

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The TC-885 has that drive mounting plate in the front of the computer. You will see two sets of holes that match up for a HDD to fit. one is at right angles to the other. I believe they are both set for a 3.5" drive, but measure to be sure. If they are both for a 3.5" then an adapter is warranted. Luckily they are really cheap...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    mx5guru

check this out is it the same type. 

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The TC-885 has that drive mounting plate in the front of the computer. You will see two sets of holes that match up for a HDD to fit. one is at right angles to the other. I believe they are both set for a 3.5" drive, but measure to be sure. If they are both for a 3.5" then an adapter is warranted. Luckily they are really cheap...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @mx5guru
    Just additional info. 
    If you want to add another 2.5" SSD , you can use masking tape or gorilla tape to fix the additional drive to that silver color small tray(picture 11.4 above from @Christy1). I do this for a third SSD/HHD of my PC (even though there are only two vacant SATA ports on the motherboard).
  • billsey
    Yeah, though masking tape dries out and loses adhesion after a while and Gorilla tape or duck tape eventually migrates the adhesive all over everything... It's a B** to clean off after a few years. Screws and an adapter are much cleaner. :)
  • ttttt
    @billsey
    There is a big "IF" that @mx5guru will ever use the tray for 2.5" HDD/SSD. Yes, the best way will be drilling holes at the tray and mount the drive from the bottom. 
    I am assuming that people are just like me ( average people, do not want to drill holes with tools). I just want to do it the fast, simple  and economic way, doing it with Gorilla tape in half minute instead of spending 20 minutes+ by drilling holes (sometimes dimensions may be off a little for non-professionals).

To my surprise, mounting with Gorilla tape is strong enough that plugging and unplugging connectors causing no problems and basically no movement to the HDD/SSD if assisted by other hand. My estimation is that through the lifetime of the PC, people may need to re-tape with Gorilla tape once or at most twice only. Still, plenty of time saved when comparing with drilling holes, and no adapter needed.

Just my personal experience.
  • billsey
    No need to drill any holes. The tray already has holes for two 3.5" drives, you just use one adapter bracket to mount a 2.5" in the second set of holes.
  • DS549
    DS549 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    hi mx5guru,

I installed a Crucial BX500 240gb 2.5" SSD in my TC-895. Didn't need any adapter - it fitted to the lower set of holes on the mounting plate. Pic shows the HDD at the top and the SSD is below. The HDD is mounted is vertically, and the SSD (as billsey said) is mounted at right angles. Had a quick look on Youtube and the 885 seems to have the same mounting plate as the 895.

Hope this helps......

• ttttt
    @billsey
    I believe we are talking about two different things.
    The tray that I referred to is the tray right behind the DVD drive, as shown in the picture provided by @christy1.
    What you have in mind is the intended hard disk tray as shown in the picture provided by @DS549.
    This intended hard disk tray can be used to mount one 3.5" HDD and a 2.5" HDD/SSD or two 2.5" HDD/SSD, as only the four orange holes on this intended HDD tray are for one 3.5" HDD ( at least this is the case for my TC-885-UA91).

What the tray in the picture provided by @Christy1 is the one I think can be used for a third 2.5" HDD/SSD ( for those who do not use the DVD drive) if the user want to do it with Gorilla or duct tape. A SATA power connector is just kind of fixed there.