Acer Swift 3 - Very Hot on Left Side when Charging and Extremely Hot on Top Left - SF314-59

int28
int28 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Model Name: SF314-59
Part Number: NX.A0MEA.006

The device is brand new (four days old) and I immediately noticed extreme heat when charging on the first day.

The extreme heat starts at the top-left within five minutes of the charger plugged in. (This is the location of the charger port.) Over the next 20-30 minutes, the heat spreads down the left side of the device along the edge, and till about the 'D" key on the keyboard. The heat is on both the top and bottom of the device. It heats as described during idle. Casual use, i.e. like four tabs open in Chrome and nothing else, does not seem to make it any hotter.

I hear the fans for a few seconds after plugging in the charger, but nothing else heard from the fans after that.

The issue does not occur when the charger is not plugged in. In fact, there's barely any heat when the charger is not plugged in.

I have done all updates in Settings > Windows Update.

Please advise. Thank you.

Answers

• int28
    edited February 2021
    I am using the original charger.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    On your Swift 3 SF314-59 the power input jack is soldered to the motherboard, so it's unlikely to be a cable partially pulled loose. In order to generate excess heat there needs to be a resistance in the charging circuit. Is there anything visible in the jack that might be getting in the way of the plug making good contact? Can you rotate the plug a few times to try an wipe off anything that might be there? If you can't find anything then likely the next step is either to swap the unit with your vendor or contact Acer support for repair. It shouldn't be getting as hot as you indicate it is.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • int28
    billsey said:
    On your Swift 3 SF314-59 the power input jack is soldered to the motherboard, so it's unlikely to be a cable partially pulled loose. In order to generate excess heat there needs to be a resistance in the charging circuit. Is there anything visible in the jack that might be getting in the way of the plug making good contact? Can you rotate the plug a few times to try an wipe off anything that might be there? If you can't find anything then likely the next step is either to swap the unit with your vendor or contact Acer support for repair. It shouldn't be getting as hot as you indicate it is.

Thank you, billsey. I tried as you described with the plug several times and did not notice any improvement after several hours. 

I tried something else however and there was a rapid reduction in heat after 10-15 minutes. Whilst plugged in, I dropped the "Power Mode" bar from about 75% all the way to 0%, at "Best battery life." (Screenshot provided below)

After changing that, I heard the fans loudly immediately within seconds. The heat dissipated over the next 10-15 minutes and it's slightly hot at only the top left. I continue to hear the fans loudly every few minutes now with the  It is nothing like the extreme heat previously. 

Obviously, I understand the problem is not solved because I shouldn't have to be running a brand new device on "Best battery life." whilst plugged in. Do you suggest I try anything else before getting in touch the the vendor / Acer? (BIOS update? Power management settings?)

Thank you so much.

• JJRD
    JJRD Member Posts: 1 New User
    same problem here
  • _genie_
    _genie_ Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem with my Swift 3 SF314-57G. Very hot on the top left corner while using the computer and charging at the same time. Not hot when on battery power.
  • PRIYAM
    PRIYAM Member Posts: 2 New User
    int28 said:

The device is brand new (four days old) and I immediately noticed extreme heat when charging on the first day.

The extreme heat starts at the top-left within five minutes of the charger plugged in. (This is the location of the charger port.) Over the next 20-30 minutes, the heat spreads down the left side of the device along the edge, and till about the 'D" key on the keyboard. The heat is on both the top and bottom of the device. It heats as described during idle. Casual use, i.e. like four tabs open in Chrome and nothing else, does not seem to make it any hotter.

I hear the fans for a few seconds after plugging in the charger, but nothing else heard from the fans after that.

The issue does not occur when the charger is not plugged in. In fact, there's barely any heat when the charger is not plugged in.

same here, the whole left side of the laptop gets extremely heated up even when my laptop is in sleep mode.
  • ju5
    ju5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Worse problem here. The heating is beyond extreme, and I cannot even turn the power on. Yes, it is just 10 days old. No, the power is off but the temperature does not fall. I am returning it. Can I know what happened to your devices? Any help?
  • creamTULIP
    creamTULIP Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi. I am having same issue here. Bought this laptop since Feb'2021. Recently not only when is charging, the left side of the laptop is hot. Even after completed charging, power cable unplugged, the left side remains hot even when laptop has been shut down.  The laptop will remains hot even it has been left un-use for more than 8 hrs. And the battery power will just get depleted even not in use (ie fully charged, by the next day, left with less than 30% power).  Any thing else I can do for now before sending in for servicing? Thank you
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It sounds like you've tried all the steps we'd suggest. Contact Acer service and get a ticket started.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi creamTULIP,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Muhammad25
    Muhammad25 Member Posts: 3 New User
    PRIYAM said:
    int28 said:

same here, the whole left side of the laptop gets extremely heated up even when my laptop is in sleep mode.
    ohh mann , samee issue , anybody have a solution ?
  • Mufaddal1
    Mufaddal1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem for me. Any solution?
  • GoInstaPiero
    GoInstaPiero Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

You can try resetting the battery if your laptop comes with a reset button. Push it with a needle and let it seat for 30 mins. Then try again.
    Make sure drivers are up to date.
    This model also works with a Type C connector, you can try that as well. It charges much faster with it.
    Mine gets hot, but not as hot as you guys describe. 
    The problem i have is actually i never got the 14 hours battery life time. Maybe 3 or 4. Im gonna try to reset it after it reaches 100% today and come back to let you how it went.

Hope my suggestions can help one of you at least.
  • Nowi276
    Nowi276 Member Posts: 24 Networker

I also have the same problem with my Aspire 3. It gets super duper hot on the left upper left corner at random intervals. It wasn't like this when I first bought the laptop. I use it for basic activity such as writing, drawing, browsing, and not for heavy gaming (not a gamer, lol)

I would advise using older bulkier laptops to fix the issue. I have an Acer Aspire F5 - 572 series (with optical disk drive) bought in 2015 and I never experienced a heating issue due to the body / shell that allows so much airflow through the motherboard.

All in all, as a former IT student, with experience in fixing basic laptop issues, I try to ignore it and prop a USB fan to cool the surface (It works!). :)

• ClaiveAlvin
    ClaiveAlvin Member Posts: 1 New User

Try if trickle charging is possible. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 Linux and
    I'm not sure if I did right by setting the CHARGE_CONTROL_LIMIT to 1000000 in power_supply.h to let my laptop trickle charge because after the change my laptop is no longer heating when it is charging.