Is 100 degress C the new normal?

unixfreak0037
unixfreak0037 Member Posts: 10 New User
It seems odd to me that this brand new, not cheap, system that many of us purchased would run too hot right out of the box. That Acer would sell a system that gets so hot that we're all out there trying to figure out how to cool it down. Acer has been around for a while now, I've got to assume they know that they're doing. I've done the same thing as others, in the end I just ended up repasting, and I get the same results. I don't think these high temps are because of bad pastes jobs.

This 10700 chip that I have automatically overclocks. Using a program called ThrottleStop I can disable this (seems to be the only way to disable it) and then the CPU never goes above 55C under heavy load. But without that disabled it easily reaches 100. From everything I've read, mostly in forum posts, these chips boost until they get too hot, then they back off until they can boost again. But there doesn't seem to be any consensus on if that's OK for the health of the chip in the long run.

I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. It doesn't make sense that I'd have to take a blow dryer to the motherboard to replace a backing plate so I can install a custom cooling unit in a stock system that I just bought.

Thoughts?

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @unixfreak0037
    Nitro and predator products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Termy2
    Termy2 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Lol, do not let anyone on here tell you these temps are okay. Acer sold a terrible product and we all bought it and have to fix it ourselves. I seriously feel like the people with thousands of posts on here are paid shills for Acer, because anyone else will laugh at this. The post above me is a perfect example of this.

Yes, you won't damage the chips, but that's because of INTEL's safeguards which throttle and protect chips once they reach a certain temperature, this has nothing to do with Acer. Acer put a horrible cooler on the cpu's and there shouldn't be an excuse for this. While it is said that modern chips don't require the same cooling as past chips, why in the world would 90c+ be okay? You ask this question anywhere else and they will tell you its not okay.

The cpu cooler that came with my orion 3000 looks like a stock intel cooler as well, which is whatever, intel includes them with their chips, but these are known as being bare minimum coolers. Even $25 evo coolers outperform these coolers night and day
  • Fingarn
    Fingarn Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I am currently thinking on just harvesting as much as possible from my New Orion 3000 P03-620 i7 10700 Gtx 3070 and reusing it for a new build in a new case and a new motherboard. Any thoughts on how to go about that? What parts are worth/ possible to salvage?
  • Tahiti
    Tahiti Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Termy2 said:
    Lol, do not let anyone on here tell you these temps are okay. Acer sold a terrible product and we all bought it and have to fix it ourselves. I seriously feel like the people with thousands of posts on here are paid shills for Acer, because anyone else will laugh at this. The post above me is a perfect example of this.

Yes, you won't damage the chips, but that's because of INTEL's safeguards which throttle and protect chips once they reach a certain temperature, this has nothing to do with Acer. Acer put a horrible cooler on the cpu's and there shouldn't be an excuse for this. While it is said that modern chips don't require the same cooling as past chips, why in the world would 90c+ be okay? You ask this question anywhere else and they will tell you its not okay.

The cpu cooler that came with my orion 3000 looks like a stock intel cooler as well, which is whatever, intel includes them with their chips, but these are known as being bare minimum coolers. Even $25 evo coolers outperform these coolers night and day
    believe it or not intel fans are better (they still suck tho). These are cheaper than intel fans lol cuz I swear they don't ever change speed and when they do the change is so minimal it's garbage. You would think that if you pay this much, fans are gonna be decent but nope. I would say get another fan that isn't like 5 dollars made in china.