How to fix bugged Acer Predator 17 Laptop?

Options
IrIshOJ
IrIshOJ Member Posts: 2 New User
I shut down the Predator 17 I have last night. I awoke to a black screen with the power still on. I moved my mouse and pressed my keyboard but nothing woke it from its sleep. I held down the power for 10 seconds several times but nothing worked. I unplugged the charging cord but the laptop still thinks the cord is plugged in. It appears to be in some weird sleep mode and I can’t do anything about it. I can’t remove the battery because the laptop is still on. Do I have to just wait this thing out? I know if I did this could take a very long time and I really do not want to wait as I have school work and such I need to do. Laptop hasn’t died for over 10 hours.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,028 Trailblazer
    Options
    IrIshOJ said:
    I shut down the Predator 17 I have last night. I awoke to a black screen with the power still on. I moved my mouse and pressed my keyboard but nothing woke it from its sleep. I held down the power for 10 seconds several times but nothing worked. I unplugged the charging cord but the laptop still thinks the cord is plugged in. It appears to be in some weird sleep mode and I can’t do anything about it. I can’t remove the battery because the laptop is still on. Do I have to just wait this thing out? I know if I did this could take a very long time and I really do not want to wait as I have school work and such I need to do. Laptop hasn’t died for over 10 hours.

First, turn the laptop OFF (note, this will not do any damage to your OS) press the “Power button key #7” (see Keyboard view caption below from the Predator 17 manual) for 5 seconds and until the laptop turns off then use the “Battery reset pinhole #2” (that simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds) which is button #2 in the laptop Base View caption below. Leave the laptop turned off for about 10 min and then turn the laptop back on again.

Also do a Calibration of Your Laptop Battery and also do a reset of your “Power Options” to Balanced (recommended) by right clicking on the battery icon (at the bottom right side of your Win-10 desktop taskbar) and resetting the option of your Power Options to the default at Balanced (recommended) setting and see if that fixes your problem.

Keyboard view

Base View 
  • IrIshOJ
    IrIshOJ Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    IrIshOJ said:

First, turn the laptop OFF (note, this will not do any damage to your OS) press the “Power button key #7” (see Keyboard view caption below from the Predator 17 manual) for 5 seconds and until the laptop turns off then use the “Battery reset pinhole #2” (that simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds) which is button #2 in the laptop Base View caption below. Leave the laptop turned off for about 10 min and then turn the laptop back on again.

Also do a Calibration of Your Laptop Battery and also do a reset of your “Power Options” to Balanced (recommended) by right clicking on the battery icon (at the bottom right side of your Win-10 desktop taskbar) and resetting the option of your Power Options to the default at Balanced (recommended) setting and see if that fixes your problem.

Keyboard view

Base View 
    That’s the issue. I hold the power button but the laptop won’t shut off. It ignores any key presses that I make. Do I need to hold the power button and the 2 key at the same time? Thanks.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,028 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Options

Try to reset the battery with the reset slot #2 underneath as I’ve described above. Also and if the power key does not work then there is a problem with that power key/cable that connects to the mainboar internally and that needs replacing and/or needs investigating if the pug hasn’t come lose from the mainboard? See if all that works, if not then you will have to open the laptop physically (if its under warranty don’t touch it) and send it to Acer, if its not, then open the laptop and disconnect the battery and fix all the above. For a guide ofhow to open the Predator 17 see this guide "Inside Acer Predator 17".