Stuck at Chrome Startup page, help!! - CB5-312T-K1TR

Reca_Suffolk
Reca_Suffolk Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Chromebooks
Hi everyone, hope you all are safe and well.

I have an Acer CB5-312T-K1TR and has recently failed to boot to login screen. 

When power button is pressed, it turns on, but just hangs at the white Chrome page. The battery is charged and the Chromebook charges, but have tried the following, but it does not get past the white Chrome start up page. 

1. Have pressed and held power button for 10s, it turns off, I close lid, wait a minute, then turn back on. (No luck, still stuck)
2. Have pressed Refresh key + power button at same time, unit powers off, it turns off, then it turns back on. (No luck, still stuck).
3. Have pressed Ctrl+Alt+shift+r, nothing happens.
4. ESC+Refresh+power button, turns off then on, but shows a white page with chrome logo and text that says "Please insert a recovery USB or SD card.
I wonder if anyone has experienced this or has a solution that works.

Eagerly awaiting your response

Best Answer

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @Reca_Suffolk
    Turn off the unit, than press and hold the Esc+ refresh button and press the power button one time. You will see a message coming up than let go all the keys than press and hold the Ctrl+D, than follow the on screen instruction to do a refresh
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Reca_Suffolk
    Hi @Jack22, followed your instructions, unfortunately no improvement made, still stuck on the white Chrome page. 
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Reca_Suffolk

in your 4th step. as you mentioned. 
    4. ESC+Refresh+power button, turns off then on, but shows a white page with chrome logo and text that says "Please insert a recovery USB or SD card.
    I wonder if anyone has experienced this or has a solution that works.

Did you press the ctrl and D. when you got the screen. it will ask you to press enter->>>hit enter, then it will ask you to hit space>>> press spacebar once.>>>press enter again.

Image result for Please insert a recovery USB or SD card

if the above steps dint work. then follow the link below. 

https://csapps.acer.com/dashboard/#knowledgebase_browse.php?page=1239

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/495-reinstall-chromebook-with-a-usb-flash-drive
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Reca_Suffolk
    Thank you all for, attempting to help, I am very grateful to all that helped,. In the end , it was Christy1, solution that worked for me, however, it didn't work straight away. It was still hanging, so I shut it down.

A week later, I went back to it, opened the lid and amazingly it started to boot, and went to a new start / setup screen. 

I found the following you tube link helpful in creating the recovery tool on the usb drive.

https://youtu.be/ELRPBgLptSo

Hopefully, it won't ever happen again.

Wish you well, keep safe!
This discussion has been closed.