80% Charge in Aspire 5

GraemeJ
GraemeJ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I recently purchased an Aspire 5 (SNID: XXXX) and I'm a little confused by the 80% charge option.

My question is simple, if I select the 80% option, is it better to leave the mains connected permanently - or not?  I was always under the impression that leaving a laptop continuously connected to mains power would damage the battery (I'm pretty sure that doing this killed the battery in my previous Samsung machine).

Thread was edited to add model name to the title and to hide sensitive information

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    >>>it's a good thing to leave the mains connected permanently, when the charge level is limited to 80%?>>>

It's more important for battery health to occasionally cycle the battery than leaving it permanently connected at any charge level endpoint Also helps to keep battery monitor calibrated. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,900 Pathfinder
    edited February 2021
    @GraemeJ
    Now the days the battery are made of Lithium Ion, so they will not get damaged so soon, most of the people those who have gaming laptop they always connect the charger to the main power and play games all day. So dont worry it will not damage the battery. But still ant time if you want the battery to be reset you can find a small pin hole at the back the laptop to reset the battery
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • GraemeJ
    Thanks for the answer, but I'm still unclear as to what is best for the battery ?  Leaving my previous computer permanently plugged in to the mains almost certainly led to the demise of its battery (and that was a li-ion as well).
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,900 Pathfinder
    @GraemeJ
     ok i can understand here, so plug the charger in once it goes to 100% charger remove the charger and use the laptop again when the charger goes below 30% plug in and charger till 100%. So do these step to make the battery be healthy
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • GraemeJ
    I know about conditioning the battery - it was the first thing I did when I received the machine.  However, I'm still unclear as to whether it's a good thing to leave the mains connected permanently, when the charge level is limited to 80%?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    >>>it's a good thing to leave the mains connected permanently, when the charge level is limited to 80%?>>>

It's more important for battery health to occasionally cycle the battery than leaving it permanently connected at any charge level endpoint Also helps to keep battery monitor calibrated. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• GraemeJ
    OK - thanks for that.  I'll do as you say.