latest BIOS firmware for Gateway FX6800-01h

achdt007
achdt007 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi
My Windows version is struck at 1709. I tried to install new windows version from scratch from usb drive, but my desktop did not boot from that usb drive, I tried that usb drive on another pc and that boots easily. Same thing with windows update, when it tried to RESTART, it showed black screen, i had to power off and on again, and it scrolled back to 1709 with an error message "update failed".
I know that i need new BIOS firmware update, but i found NOTHING on internet, and ACER support couldn't help.
Please help me to find new BIOS firmware for that model. 

Thanks

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    HI @achdt007
    Did you try on the below like for firmware. Under drivers and manuals. 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/drivers
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • achdt007

Tinkerer

it's a Gateway product. ACER website says it doesn't find my serial number or SNID. They are not in ACER database
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    achdt007 said:
    it's a Gateway product. ACER website says it doesn't find my serial number or SNID. They are not in ACER database
    My bad. Sorry gateway site.
    https://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • achdt007

Tinkerer

Yes, I found it BUT, I can’t use DOS procedure because of 16 bits under windows 64 bits.
    with windows procedure,there’s no ROM file. Their readme file doesn’t correspond to the content of download files!

do you think I can destroy my pc by using windows procedure with rom file in Dos folder?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    What BIOS version are you running right now? If it's lower than the one on that Gateway site (1.80) then you can update to 1.80 in Windows by simply extracting the archive then running the executable in the Windows directory. No ROM file because it's baked into the installer. I doubt that the BIOS is what's holding you up for installing a current OS version from a flash drive. More likely you just don't have the BIOS set right or you don't have the installer setup right. What OS originally came with your Gateway? IIRC it's old enough that it might be Vista, which would make your machine a Legacy boot machine since UEFI wasn't introduced until Windows 7 sp1 and wasn't required until Windows 8. Your install flash drive need to be MBR to boot in Legacy mode... There is the possibility there is hardware in your Gateway that Windows no longer supports, and that would explain the failed updates.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • achdt007

Tinkerer

My bios is set with “optimal default values”. When I run afuwin.exe , core version is 08.00.15, system rom Id is 842p091g. My model is fx6800-01h. I have the impression that the new rom is for fx6800-01e.

i was able to create a dos bootable USB drive, boot from it, but it couldn’t flash new rom because of invalid rom Id. The file name of new rom is 842p181g.

every upgrade to new version is stuck when I restart pc, I saw only windows logo, and no more progress until I turn off power.

too many parameters in bios, how could I know which ones are not right? Please give me some parameters to check, otherwise I’m like a blind man!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    OK, I believe the issue we should address is the Windows update issue, not the BIOS. The downloaded BIOS is obviously not for your machine, based on the error message. Try running SetupDiag from Microsoft to start with.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • achdt007

Tinkerer

Thank you Christy1 for your suggestion to go on Gateway website. I found new BIOS on that site, but by following the instruction i got error message "Invalid ROM ID" 

I read almost every article about Invalid ROM ID, and i found one guy who suggested to add option /x to AFUFlash command to ignore ROM ID and flash anyway.

He was my savior without knowing. Thanks man!

Finally my windows version jumped from 1709 to 20H2 in one shot!

---

Here's how to do flash new rom for Gateway FX6800

1) get new ROM from Gateway, you will find a folder named DOS

2) With rufu, create a DOS bootable usb (option Free DOS, not MS Dos)

3) copy DOS folder to usb drive

4) edit the bat file to add option /x

5) Boot your FX6800 from usb

6) go to DOS folder

7) run that bat file

8) Restart your pc, and maybe you need to get in BIOS to redefine your boot option.

That's it! No more trouble with Windows updates!!!