Acer Aspire a515-51g, battery wont charge

J_J
J_J Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

After some charging issues last year (computer couldn't properly detect when I plugged in the Power Cable), I had someone look at my laptop to fix the issue. Went travelling after it was fixed and did not use it afterwards. Now that I have finally tested it does plug in, power on and I can use it. But it wont charge. It says that it is charging but it stays a 0 %. HWInfo also says, that there is no juice on the battery.
*I have tried updating Windows,
*reinstalling the battery control Driver
*resetting the battery 
Nothing worked though. After searching a bit, I found a post that says, this button always have to be pressed by the Ram cover plate in order for the battery to charge

Opened my laptop and saw to my confusion, that is button seems to be missing on my Motherboard (Tried taping it over with electric tape, but did not work either) 

What can I do to fix this? thx

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• J_J

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Thanks! Here you go, also posted a picture of HWiNFO

• JackE
    At some point, the battery pack probably dropped below its critical charge level of about 4-5% without Windows actually shutting it down.   When this happens, some batteries can't be easily revived. If you haven't done so already, I suggest opening Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are  currently unavailble'. Then scroll down and make sure the box for fast startup is unchecked. Then shutdown Windows normally. With the charger plugged in and laptop turned off, the battery charge LED should be steady orange. Allow it to sit this way for at least 8 hrs or overnight to see if the LED turns to steady blue in the off state. Then turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• J_J

Tinkerer

Thanks for the answer. I already have checked that setting off. And it stood over night last night with the charger plugged in, did not help. Will try again though. Any other ideas? The problem probably occurred when it was in for service a year ago... 
  • JackE
    >>>And it stood over night last night with the charger plugged in, did not help.>>>

Yes, but was the battery charge LED lit, blinking or just dark ?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• J_J

Tinkerer

Pretty sure it was blinking. It is blinking now, after being plugged in and turned off for an hour. I can check the exact result in the morning. Thanks for the help!
  • JackE
    If it's still blinking in the morning, the battery's own internal controller probably won't allow charging a flat Li-ion cell due fire hazards. A Li-ion drawback when they're allowed to go flat. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• J_J

Tinkerer

So a new battery would be needed then? And is it 100 percent certain, that the issue is not due to the missing button on the Motherboard. I read several places that some Aspire 5 models need this button to be pressed in order to charge. But I do not know if mine ever had one. Thanks again!
  • JackE
    >>>And is it 100 percent certain,>>>

No. But it's highly unlikely a missing safety interlock switch swg1 is the issue since they are not always used on mainboards to save production costs. It is however possible that the spring-loaded battery reset switch swg2 may not be fully engaged in the on-state position when it's released. But the fact that the battery charge LED is blinking suggests swg2 is fully on and the missing swg1  is solder-continuous on the mainboard as if it were also fully on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• J_J

Tinkerer

Thank you very much once again! I guess a new battery is needed if it does not work tomorrow, sadly 
  • JackE
    About $35USD for a new replacement seems worth a try. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ