Helios 300 Are both M.2 slots the same speed?

Options
jimmytwoshoes
jimmytwoshoes Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
Ive watched many videos online and cannot find specific answers to the following questions. I have a Helios 300 and I will be adding a second nvme ssd. I read that laptops usually have one M.2 slot that is faster than the other? Does that apply to my laptop or are both M.2 slots equal regarding speed?  Also, if I move the original nvme ssd to the second open slot, will my computer know how to boot up and locate windows? Ive watched many videos online but they all seem to have different procedures. One video even said that I have to upgrade the bios for a simple ssd upgrade.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    should be fine, the other one wont have a bootloader on it so the laptop will just skip it

Answers

• Leostat
    Options
    In HW info you should be able to see the number of lanes assigned to each, i wouldnt have thought one would have more than the other though unless one was sata, and one was NVME.
  • jimmytwoshoes

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks Leostat. If I switch slots and put my brand new blank ssd in its place, will the computer know how to boot up and search the other slot for windows?
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Options
    should be fine, the other one wont have a bootloader on it so the laptop will just skip it
  • jimmytwoshoes

Tinkerer

Options
    So I did the switch and install. When I first started the laptop it just stayed on the black screen with the predator logo. It would not load windows. I powered it off and back on, and now everything works perfectly. Same thing happened in a video that I watched. Who knows, maybe the first boot up is always bad. So weird that many videos tell you to change bios settings when upgrading ssd. Mine was pretty easy. Thanks Leostat.