Hello, Pretty total novice here. I have an Aspire TC-281-UR12 SN: DTB92AA002XXX. It came w

PeeterRabbit
PeeterRabbit Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello,
Pretty total novice here. I have an Aspire TC-281-UR12 SN:  DTB92AA002XXXX. It came with an 8GB and a 4GB RAM installed. I have tried to add additional RAM. I started with a 8GB and the unit wouldn't boot with either the new RAM alone or when combined with the old RAM. Sent RAM back to seller as defective. I purchased a 16GB from another vendor and same deal. They exchanged it for another 16GB and same deal. I've tried them in all different slots. Machine will not boot with any of the new RAM in it. These RAM were sold as compatible with this machine. I also tried clearing the CMOS but that did nothing. Am I missing something? Thank you

Edited the content to hide sensitive information

Best Answer

• PeeterRabbit
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone. Problem solved. Purchased RAM made by Crucial and it worked from the get go. Moral of the story...don't believe all vendors who say their components are compatible. Thanks

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,921 Pathfinder
    @PeeterRabbit
    The Ram which you got should be DDR4 1.2V 2400U-DIMMs Dual channel upto 64GB
    The Model for this would from A-DATA,Kinsgton or Micron try and check. CHeck all the above was right in the RAM that u used
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • PeeterRabbit
    Thank you Jack22 for your answer. The RAM I received has written on it "16GB PCA-2130 DDR4  2666 MHZ 210131". Since it doesn't work I will have to assume that it is incompatible with my machine even though they said it was. I will return them and get something from Crucial since I heard they were part of Micron.
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,921 Pathfinder
    Thank you Jack22 for your answer. The RAM I received has written on it "16GB PCA-2130 DDR4  2666 MHZ 210131". Since it doesn't work I will have to assume that it is incompatible with my machine even though they said it was. I will return them and get something from Crucial since I heard they were part of Micron.
    Sure try with them, hope it works, make sure its Dual Channel
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the 2666 should have down clocked to 2400, but some of the off brand versions aren't good with that function.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,434 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    Jack22 said:
    Sure try with them, hope it works, make sure its Dual Channel

First, get and install CPUID and have a look at the exact specs of your existing 8GB/4GB OEM RAM installed in your system (should be the same speed/timing)? Your TC-281 can take a max capacity of 32 GB total memory into its 4x banks of memory slots, make sure that you don't mix up the slots e.g. put 1x memory stick into 1x different coloured memory slots (if you use just 2x slots) as that will not work, also, to find out exactly what is the max capacity that your TC-281 takes go to cmd prompt, use as administrator and insert this cmd then press enter:

systeminfo | findstr /C:"Total Physical Memory"

This is an example of the above cmd prompt command 

This will give you the full capacity that your TC-281 can have, if you want other memory specs, see this "PC Memory Specs" for speed, size, type, part number, form factor on Windows 10.

Btw, this is one of the manufacturers suggestions (which is not always 100% correct) for their memory and ssd upgrades for your TC-281 see here TC-281  but, I would still check with the cmd prompt commands (I suggested above) to see the exact specs of your Aspire TC-281-UR12 SN: DTB92AA002XXX to make sure its correct, good luck and hope this helps.

• PeeterRabbit
    Answer ✓
    Thanks everyone. Problem solved. Purchased RAM made by Crucial and it worked from the get go. Moral of the story...don't believe all vendors who say their components are compatible. Thanks