Acer Aspire 3 A315-42 BIOS 1.11 power on, no screen activity, shuts down 5 seconds.

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    OK. If it still trips off, better carefully check for any screws or other grounded metal case parts/points that may be inadvertently touching mainboard circuit traces or component contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fred4321
    Fred4321 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I've checked everything upside down, powered the thing up with only the battery and keyboard connected. Interestingly, I had to plug the cmos battery in after the battery was connected otherwise it wouldn't even power on, but even after that, same behavior, even when I unplug the cmos battery, nothing was plugged in except for the battery and keyboard.

Square one it seems
  • JackE
    With battery pack disconnected, try removing the coin cell and check that its voltage is still well above 3.1 volts. With the coin cell removed, either short its mainboard +/- connectors or short the small clr clear jumpers located under the RAM module for about 10 seconds. Then button back up and try it again. BTW, just in case it wasn't mentioned earlier, the base cover must be fully attached with screws in testing this thing because many mainboards are equipped with a spring loaded safety interlock switch that cuts all power to the mainboard if the cover is not tight or misaligned. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Fred4321
    edited February 2021
    Shorted the +/- motherboard cmos connector, battery read 3.186v

No change in behavior. All motherboard and cover screws are in.
  • JackE
    >>>Will try to power on with the bare minimum (motherboard and keyboard)>>>

Grasping at straws here. Was battery pack disconnected too? Meaning only charger plugged in? No RAM, no HDD, No nothing else connected even to the USB, HDMI or other ports??? Do you even get a BIOS error beep code??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fred4321
    edited February 2021
    Battery pack was only source of power, everything else was unplugged (except keyboard since I have to use the power button).
    the only thing connected to the motherboard was battery, keyboard. I even tried with the LCD unplugged. Even the speakers are disconnected.

No beep, no hesitation, simply powers on, fan spin, everything shut down 5 seconds later.
  • JackE
    Same thing on AC only, no battery pack???

Jack E/NJ

• Fred4321
    I'll try that, but I already tried to start it with AC or battery and it makes no difference in either case so would be baffled if getting everything out again to try it with AC would make any difference.

Will get back with the results when I get to try it AC only.

Thanks!
  • JackE
    If it still trips off on AC alone with all the components except the keyboard, then it's still possible the BIOS somehow got stuck in a keyboard power button shipping mode. See instructions below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ