Repair taking over 3 weeks? Predator Triton 500

Options
My7771
My7771 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
So about a month ago, on January 6th to be precise, I gave in my Predator Triton 500 for repair to the Acer Customer Service Center in Hong Kong, my laptop's CPU was hitting 95 degrees celsius and the GPU hitting around 87 - 90 degrees celsius whenever I played any game on it, and that's only when I maxed out the speed of the fans. They told me they would give me an update soon, about a week later, they told me they've identified the problem with the laptop, and stated they're waiting for parts, however, it's just been over a month and yet recently when I've contacted them, they said they're still waiting on parts, now I don't know exactly what's going on as they didn't offer an explanation on why it's taking so long, but I don't believe parts take more than 2 whole weeks to ship. I don't know what to do now, has anyone been in a similar situation to this?

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    My7771
    Sorry for the inconvenience. Due to current covid situation there might be a delay on the parts and service. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    My7771 said:
    So about a month ago, on January 6th to be precise, I gave in my Predator Triton 500 for repair to the Acer Customer Service Center in Hong Kong, my laptop's CPU was hitting 95 degrees celsius and the GPU hitting around 87 - 90 degrees celsius whenever I played any game on it, and that's only when I maxed out the speed of the fans. They told me they would give me an update soon, about a week later, they told me they've identified the problem with the laptop, and stated they're waiting for parts, however, it's just been over a month and yet recently when I've contacted them, they said they're still waiting on parts, now I don't know exactly what's going on as they didn't offer an explanation on why it's taking so long, but I don't believe parts take more than 2 whole weeks to ship. I don't know what to do now, has anyone been in a similar situation to this?
    If the laptop was overheating it could have been an issue with improper thermal paste application, or, it was clogging up with dust.
    I think Acer doesn't frown on thermal paste re-application and cleaning if you have to do it... so I would imagine that would have been easier/faster rather than sending it to Acer themselves.

But if it was a manufacturing fault (which is of course possible), then yeah, repasting or cleaning the thing wouldn't have helped and they would need to take care of it.

But Acer seem to be exceptionally slow when you have a problem that they need to repair under the warranty.

I had a failed BIOS update which bricked my motherboard, and the authorized repair center here in UK that deals with Acer machines under warranty couldn't just reflash the BIOS to previous version (or try to flash the newer version in an attempt to repair the failed update) as (for some reason) they weren't allowed to do that... and as I later on discovered, this can be accomplished with a specialized controller and BIOS chip reader which can be directly applied to the ROM chip so you can upload a new BIOS to it directly.

Long story short, after the first week, Acer said they are waiting for a replacement part (probably the motherboard - which was really dumb because you'd think they would just reflash the BIOS), and another 3 weeks later, they were STILL waiting for the parts to arrive.

You'll just have to deal with the waiting I'm afraid... I think that they will EVENTUALLY repair it... but you may end up waiting a long time for them to do so.
    Under normal circumstances, I think the maximum amount of time someone else who dealt with Acer and a similar laptop problem ended up waiting several months before they got the machine back... I unfortunately couldn't wait that long and ended up getting my money back because I told them that they were supposed to repair the laptop within 28 days, and since it didn't happen, they offered a refund or a replacement (and since no other laptop existed with the same specs in that price category, I just opted for a refund).

This is an unfortunate reality when dealing with Acer repair services (heck, this would apply to virtually ANY laptop manufacturer unfortunately) and the pandemic will most likely make matters worse.

• deksman2
    deksman2 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    christy1 said:
    My7771
    Sorry for the inconvenience. Due to current covid situation there might be a delay on the parts and service. 
    Acer repairs are ALWAYS fraught with delays under best of circumstances (it sometimes took them months to repair a relatively simple issue)... the pandemic and ABF substrate shortages will only exacerbate the delays further.
  • My7771
    My7771 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    deksman2 said:
    My7771 said:
    If the laptop was overheating it could have been an issue with improper thermal paste application, or, it was clogging up with dust.
    I think Acer doesn't frown on thermal paste re-application and cleaning if you have to do it... so I would imagine that would have been easier/faster rather than sending it to Acer themselves.

But if it was a manufacturing fault (which is of course possible), then yeah, repasting or cleaning the thing wouldn't have helped and they would need to take care of it.

But Acer seem to be exceptionally slow when you have a problem that they need to repair under the warranty.

I had a failed BIOS update which bricked my motherboard, and the authorized repair center here in UK that deals with Acer machines under warranty couldn't just reflash the BIOS to previous version (or try to flash the newer version in an attempt to repair the failed update) as (for some reason) they weren't allowed to do that... and as I later on discovered, this can be accomplished with a specialized controller and BIOS chip reader which can be directly applied to the ROM chip so you can upload a new BIOS to it directly.

Long story short, after the first week, Acer said they are waiting for a replacement part (probably the motherboard - which was really dumb because you'd think they would just reflash the BIOS), and another 3 weeks later, they were STILL waiting for the parts to arrive.

You'll just have to deal with the waiting I'm afraid... I think that they will EVENTUALLY repair it... but you may end up waiting a long time for them to do so.
    Under normal circumstances, I think the maximum amount of time someone else who dealt with Acer and a similar laptop problem ended up waiting several months before they got the machine back... I unfortunately couldn't wait that long and ended up getting my money back because I told them that they were supposed to repair the laptop within 28 days, and since it didn't happen, they offered a refund or a replacement (and since no other laptop existed with the same specs in that price category, I just opted for a refund).

This is an unfortunate reality when dealing with Acer repair services (heck, this would apply to virtually ANY laptop manufacturer unfortunately) and the pandemic will most likely make matters worse.

Yep, I definitely took the probability of the lack of thermal paste into account, however I'm not experienced with computer repairs and online reviews said getting into the Triton 500's inside components like the CPU was more or less a harder task than normal disassemblies with other devices apparently. Admittedly, I was afraid on what to do and worried if I'd tamper with anything inside the laptop it would completely destroy it, so I didn't, and left it to Acer to help me fix my problem. And yes, the problem was covered under warranty.