Is the Acer Aspire E15 still a strong pick for a computer science student?

lalyaboze48
lalyaboze48 Member Posts: 1 New User

This is the laptop that I keep seeing in other threads and in lists online. My questions are if this laptop will be suitable for use for computer science work, and if there are stronger options out there at my price point.

• Total budget and country of purchase: Aiming for 500-600, with 650 as the absolute maximum. Purchasing in USA.

• Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Specifications, then battery life. 2 in 1 is not important to me at all.

• How important is weight and thinness to you? Somewhat. I don't want a brick since I have to carry it to/from classes but I understand if sacrifices have to be made at this price point.

• Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

• Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

• Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Some gaming. I have a passing interest in CAD so having the capability to use AutoCAD or solidworks would be nice but is secondary to everything else.

• If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? I don't tend to play anything highly demanding specs wise. Games like Enter the Gungeon or Terraria are mainstays, as an example. I just want these to run smoothly, preferably 60 FPS. I have a full rig for anything that needs a beefier setup.

• Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Expandable hard drive if possible.

• Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. As said above I'm going into computer science so coding and note-taking are going to be the two key factors.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    I'd prefer a sub 15" model like the Swift models. The  SF314-42 with the Ryzen 7 CPU/GPU, bigger nvme SSD, a lot of bang for the buck in a smaller lighter package. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lalyaboze48
    lalyaboze48 Member Posts: 1 New User

This is the laptop that I keep seeing in other threads and in lists online. My questions are if this laptop will be suitable for use for computer science work, and if there are stronger options out there at my price point.

• Total budget and country of purchase: Aiming for 500-600, with 650 as the absolute maximum. Purchasing in USA.

• Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Specifications, then battery life. 2 in 1 is not important to me at all.

• How important is weight and thinness to you? Somewhat. I don't want a brick since I have to carry it to/from classes but I understand if sacrifices have to be made at this price point.

• Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

• Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

• Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Some gaming. I have a passing interest in CAD so having the capability to use AutoCAD or solidworks would be nice but is secondary to everything else.

• If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? I don't tend to play anything highly demanding specs wise. Games like Enter the Gungeon or Terraria are mainstays, as an example. I just want these to run smoothly, preferably 60 FPS. I have a full rig for anything that needs a beefier setup.

• Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Expandable hard drive if possible.

• Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the disomegle

• cussion. As said above I'm going into computer science so coding and note-taking are going to be the two key factors.

issue got solved!!