TC 895 EB11 won't boot from a Spinrite CD

rick_atten
rick_atten Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Folks,
I just purchased an Acer TC895 EB11, and I quite like it, but I want to use my SpinRite CD to test the hard drive. I have used this CD successfully for years, and the current system Will read it after I boot from windows, but it will not show up in the Boot menu when I press F12.  I have a similar problem if I try the same thing using a bootable USB Key with the software on it. I suspect it has to do with UEFI, since my Windows Bootable USB and Linux Bootable USB both work fine.

Spinrite is from the GRC.COM site and has been recognized as a great hard drive tool for decades now.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this to work?

Thanks,

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Do a quick check in Windows to see what folder the Spinrite CD has on it. Perhaps it's not setup for UEFI... It looks like he's booting FreeDOS, which doesn't support UEFI booting, so that may be the issue. Most new computers no longer support the old Legacy boot, since it hasn't been required for several years.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DavidfromQuebec
    DavidfromQuebec Member Posts: 1 New User
    The Acer model I have is an Acer Aspire 15 and I have had exactly the same problem with Spinrite and also with Ubuntu. How can we setup the CD for UEFI booting?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    It looks like Spinrite hasn't been updated for UEFI, but Ubuntu has for the last several versions. How are you burning the install CD and why aren't you just using a flash drive?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.