No sound Aspire A315-21-661L

Jeanm73
Jeanm73 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi I have an Aspire A315-21-661L. I spilt some water which splashed on my keyboard and quite a bit of it came out when I tipped it up. I removed the back and took out the battery and dried as much as I could inside. I replaced the battery and the back of the laptop and placed it with the top opened right up, face down on a towel and left it for 24 hours in a warm room. My laptop starts OK and Windows 10 boots up, everything works well except for the sound. I have tried various suggestions, turning the audio service off and restarting, troubleshooting etc but no sound. Could this be because of water damage or might I have dislodged something when I took out the battery?

Best Answer

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Jeanm73 said:
    Rudy No I havent connected anything externally. I have tried connecting headphones, I get a crackling sound through them
    it seems the problem is with the sound card. Maybe the water might have damaged it..

i would suggest you to leave the unit in warm place to have the moist exhaust inside.. Most of the times once the moist exhausts the device works as usual.. 

I think this trick should work.. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer

Answers

• Rudy21
    Jeanm73 said:
    Hi I have an Aspire A315-21-661L. I spilt some water which splashed on my keyboard and quite a bit of it came out when I tipped it up. I removed the back and took out the battery and dried as much as I could inside. I replaced the battery and the back of the laptop and placed it with the top opened right up, face down on a towel and left it for 24 hours in a warm room. My laptop starts OK and Windows 10 boots up, everything works well except for the sound. I have tried various suggestions, turning the audio service off and restarting, troubleshooting etc but no sound. Could this be because of water damage or might I have dislodged something when I took out the battery?
    Most of the times this could turn out to be water damage.. However, have you checked if the device recognizes the hardware..

Please go to device manager and check if the sound drivers are installed. If yes, then go to control panel > Hardware and sound > Sound > Under playback right click on the speakers and click test... (Make sure the volume is set to Max)

Share the result here
  • Jeanm73
    Hi Rudy, Thank you for your reply, yes the drivers are installed, update says they are the latest drivers. No sound on the speed test. However above the Speaker entry in Sound there is an entry (see attachment) is this relevant?
  • Rudy21
    Jeanm73 said:
    Hi Rudy, Thank you for your reply, yes the drivers are installed, update says they are the latest drivers. No sound on the speed test. However above the Speaker entry in Sound there is an entry (see attachment) is this relevant?
    The first one says external monitor or a TV with in-built speakers
    2nd shows the system speakers which are selected as default.. If you have any external devices connected please disconnect them and test the audio.

Also, i would suggest you to connect headphones and see if the audio is being processed.. 

Post this please share the result here
  • Jeanm73
    Rudy No I havent connected anything externally. I have tried connecting headphones, I get a crackling sound through them
  • Rudy21
    Answer ✓
    Jeanm73 said:
    it seems the problem is with the sound card. Maybe the water might have damaged it..

i would suggest you to leave the unit in warm place to have the moist exhaust inside.. Most of the times once the moist exhausts the device works as usual.. 

I think this trick should work.. 
  • Jeanm73
    Thanks you have been really helpful. I will do that 
  • Rudy21
    Jeanm73 said:
    Thanks you have been really helpful. I will do that 
    You're Welcome..