Laptop hero to Zero PT715-51

michaelatlam
michaelatlam Member Posts: 7 New User
edited February 2021 in Predator Laptops
I have an Acer PT715-51 with an upgraded Ram system to 32Gb and a dead battery.

Something strange happened after 2 events that I am aware of, Battery going completely dead & a Windows update, Another weird phenomenon is that I no longer have the 2k (2560x1440) resolution any more to choose within windows or any other games which is fine i cannot them fonts anywho but this is not my main problem.

from the mentioned 2 events games now have such a sluggish feel now and to make it worse I get these massive fps drops randomly, Ill be a stable 60 then it goes down all the way to 17 and then climbs back up in a course of 15-20 seconds, I seen the fps go up to 100 too, This happens regardless of what my graphics setting is. I have completely formatted my PC with a CD and not using the reset method but the problem still remains.

I am a creature of habit and play the same games really, The 2 games in particular that I know I can play on high as I played these on high settings years ago but now the game is teary, stuttering and basically unplayable even the sound gets effected.

Tempreture all well below 80 and the laptop doesnt get as hot as I would expect, like I have had it much hotter when it worked decent enough.

I am about to launch this ***** laptop out of the window but it would be a shame to just abandon it after 3 years of loyal service. Is there anything anyone has similar issues and has a somewhwat weird fix? 

The spec of the laptop:
Win 10 home
i7 7700HQ
32Gb Ram
SSD 1 raided onboard (as built)
SSD 2 USB external Sandisk Extreme
GTX1080

I have cleaned the laptop inside, purchased replacement fans and also have a battery coming. I work in the IT sector and have somewhat good knowledge of decent upkeep for a laptop.

I am just soooo confused how from one day to another this starts to happen and i cant figure out which hardware is causing this or could be causing it. Is it just the age of it? I mean its creeping 4 years now

Thanks all and hope you hear from someone :)

Best Answer

• michaelatlam
    Answer ✓
    Hi Everyone,

I have managed to solve the issue !

The problem was one of the SSDs that were in RAID 0 and one had failed without showing any errors via regular commands and checks. The only reason i realized which drive was failing was due to buying a single 512 SSD into slot 0 and using one of the other 2 drives as additional storage but the drive kept showing up as INVALID and wasn't able to format it or even bring it online, Swapped the SSD to the second identical devicce and viola i managed to get the extra 256 storage from it.

This entire process was extremely annoying and did so much research and trial and error (3 formats) so i hope this may help someone out there that has the same issue. 

You could always remove the raid and have them separate which would perhaps solve your problem as well or perhaps indicate which SSD is on its way out.

Really don't understand the purpose of having RAID 0 in such cases, Some may argue speed since its striped but heck im old school give me a single physical drive and if you want raid then raid 1 would be a better option!!

Anyway thanks for reading and good luck out there

Answers

• michaelatlam
    Answer ✓
    Hi Everyone,

I have managed to solve the issue !

The problem was one of the SSDs that were in RAID 0 and one had failed without showing any errors via regular commands and checks. The only reason i realized which drive was failing was due to buying a single 512 SSD into slot 0 and using one of the other 2 drives as additional storage but the drive kept showing up as INVALID and wasn't able to format it or even bring it online, Swapped the SSD to the second identical devicce and viola i managed to get the extra 256 storage from it.

This entire process was extremely annoying and did so much research and trial and error (3 formats) so i hope this may help someone out there that has the same issue. 

You could always remove the raid and have them separate which would perhaps solve your problem as well or perhaps indicate which SSD is on its way out.

Really don't understand the purpose of having RAID 0 in such cases, Some may argue speed since its striped but heck im old school give me a single physical drive and if you want raid then raid 1 would be a better option!!

Anyway thanks for reading and good luck out there