Unable to connect via Wifi or Ethernet -"Wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration"Aspire 3 A315-21

DevonJan
DevonJan Member Posts: 6 New User
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi guys,

Need your help before I pull all my hair out!! 

I have an Acer Aspire 3 A315-21
Windows 10,
64 bit,
which has been perfectly fine connecting to my home wifi for nearly 2 years now.  All of a sudden I lost internet connection and have been unable to get it working again.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the connection
I have tried de-installing the network drivers and restarting the laptop for windows to re-install the drivers
I have de-installed any windows updates that were downloaded in the last couple of weeks just in case they had caused this problem all of a sudden.
I have used an offline driver updater (Driver Booster 8) with no joy.  Had to do it this way as I have no internet connection on this laptop whatsoever!
I have dug out my old, very slow laptop to utilise it's internet connection and come to the Acer website to download and install the latest drivers for my laptop.

None of these processes plus a few others where forums have suggested power management (which is off) and the like is working.  I still cannot connect to the internet!

How do I resolve this problem of no valid ip configuration?  I am assuming that under the IP protocols that it is not obtaining the IP address automatically, why is that? 

Any help appreciated guys as it is vital that I get my laptop working as soon as and it's infuriating that I only bought it on 13th Feb 2019! 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    While connected,. Could you post the result of ipconfig /all?

And if you go into network settings (network settings , adapter settings, protocols  , ipv4 settings) is everything set to auto under both tabs?
  • DevonJan
    Hi Leostat,

Thanks for your reply.

All is set at auto in both tabs for ipv4 settings and I've attached screenshots of the ipconfig/all result.

• Leostat
    Your right about it not getting an IP , 169 is when the router DHCP doesn't respond. 

I hate to say it but have you tried rebooting the router? If not give it a bash, failing that, log into the router see if there are any setting for DHCP range, connected devices, or blacklists
  • DevonJan
    Oh boy, I didn't known that and I thought it didn't look right. My problem router wise is that I am running two of them. One is the Virgin v2 hub and I have a Belkin router connected to it so that I can access my cctv (it's the only way you can access cctv outside the home with Virgin).

So if my memory serves me right, all connections via wifi are done through the Belkin router. I have looked at it's settings and my laptop doesn't show up on it as a connected device. There is no firmware or hardware updates available for it.

I think I can look at the DHCP settings but I don't know what to do there as it's a bit beyond my skillset lol.
  • DevonJan
    Leostat,

I should also mention that 2 other laptops, 2 phones and 1 tablet have no problem connecting to the internet via the wifi at the moment.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated  :)
  • Leostat
    How do you have the two routers connected? Have you placed the super hub in bridge mode, or is DHCP turned off on the second router?

Could just be a conflict between the two routers if they are both in routing mode
  • DevonJan
    The superhub is in modem mode whilst the Belkin acts as the router. Had this set up for over 6 years with no problems before. I got the Belkin specifically because of it's ability to interact and control the superhub this way.

I would have to double check tomorrow but I'm sure the Belkin has an active DHCP.

Headache inducing isn't it? lol. Sorry but I never do things the easy way it seems ha ha!
  • Leostat
    If it was easy it wouldnt be fun though ... right ;D?

One cheaty way of fixing it would be just to set a static address on the computer, and then if you can reserve it on the router. Why its stopped giving the one laptop an adress is weird, its worth checking the config of the dhcp server as it may have ran out of addresses if its only configured for a few addresses. If there are spare addresses, sometimes turning the server on and off can kick it as thers no reason it shouldnt be working!
  • DevonJan
    It used to be fun but since windows 10 came in it's got frustrating and I'm too old for learning it's grumpy ways 😊

Thanks for the idea of a static ip address, I'll give it a go but I won't hold my breath as I'm beginning to think that the network card is kaput.

I'll have to contact Acer if that is the case as I'm not happy if that is the case as the laptop is only coming up to 2 years old.

Thanks for your help Leostat