Upgrade CPU X6630G

MikeKulls
MikeKulls Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi, I have an acer machine that I would like to upgrade the CPU. It's currently an I3 4130. I would like to put an I5 in it but cannot find any details on the web about what CPUs it supports. Details of the computer are below. The BIOS appears to be up to date, there is a version P22.A3 available but it wouldn't accept it (said flash was too small). I suspect that BIOS is not for my machine. I tried an I5 4590 and it wouldn't boot at all. I also suspect it simply doesn't support I5. Any help appreciated

Model X6630G or VX6630G (written as both in different places)
Part No: DZ.VGNSA.001
Motherboard: Q87D01-6KS3H
BIOS Version: P21.A3
Serial No: 41100749

Product support page:

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can upgrade with a i5-4670, I have no idea why i5-4590 didn't work, there are 3 users running i5-4590, anyway, after doing some reading, I have come to the conclusion that you can upgrade with a i5-4670.
    CPU-Upgrade: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU (cpu-upgrade.com)
    UserBenchmark: Acer Veriton X6630G Compatible Components
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

Cool, I have an i5 4670 in my main PC, I can give it a try.
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

No problem, good luck  :)

Thanks for your help. It seems odd that it would work with the 4670 but not the 4590. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Are you sure there aren't multiple boards for the same model PC?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    The i3-4130 is a 54W processor, the i5-4670 is 84W and the i5-4590 is also 84W. I would expect the 85W CPUs to overheat, or at least cause extra fan activity to keep from overheating. I would lean toward one of the T processors, like the i7-4770T to keep the temperatures down, since they are 45W. They should all be LGA1150 sockets.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The i3-4130 is a 54W processor, the i5-4670 is 84W and the i5-4590 is also 84W. I would expect the 85W CPUs to overheat, or at least cause extra fan activity to keep from overheating. I would lean toward one of the T processors, like the i7-4770T to keep the temperatures down, since they are 45W. They should all be LGA1150 sockets.

30W is certainly a reasonable difference but the Acer cooler is a fair bit larger than the stock I5 cooler and the fan is slightly larger. So I would think it would be fine (hopefully :-). I've put the board in a regular tower case so there is a bit more airflow also and after reading your comment hooked up the case fan. I can always monitor temps and see how it goes. What I'm curious about is why the I5 4590 didn't boot at all.
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

I should add I haven't tried the I5 4670 yet as that is in my regular PC and a bit of a pain to move and I'm starting to think it will be the same problem
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited February 2021
    MikeKulls said:
    I should add I haven't tried the I5 4670 yet as that is in my regular PC and a bit of a pain to move and I'm starting to think it will be the same problem

Just as an additional advice and guide for anybody else contemplating in updating their replaceble and upgradeable cpu’s and/or upgrading and flashing bios’s. With the bios, you must read the bios instructions and follow exactly the flashing procedure guide! As in the case of flashing the new P22.A3 bios, you must have flashed it incorrectly to give you the error “flash was too small” and not followed the exact readme pdf flash guide provided within the bios P22.A3 upgrade package, follow the exact guide in the bios “Readme” pdf and start by:

1.1 Get Acer BIOS Package P22.A3.

1.2 Copy “WIN” and “ROM” folders included files to a usb flash device.

1.3 Power on System and press <Del> during POST LOGO to entry BIOS setup.

1.4 Set [Authentication]->[Secure Boot ]->Disable.

1.5 Press <F10> or select [Exit]->[Save & Exit Setup] to save changes.

1.6 Boot to Windows.

Then follow the actual flash process. Also remember “Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution” as that is a caution that Acer warns you categorically about and you have to have experience in flashing bios’s.

With the cpu upgrade and I speak from personal experience, as I’ve upgraded many cpu’s in many computers. The CPU-Upgrade site is a very reliable and a great guide of upgradability and specs for all cpu's which also give you a link to CPU-WORLD for their even more comprehensive spec and intricate guides but, there are limits and there also exceptions to upgrades with their “Upgrade Chance %’s” I would go as far as even narrowing it down to the less than 60% to 50% "Upgrade Chance %’s" with cpu’s as they will work within that range.

But and in your case of upgrading, your OEM Core i3-4130 to the Core i5-4670 (that you have in your other computer) this cpu is 95% upgradeable, which is very a very high cpu % upgrade and should work 100% and as billsey is said, the Core i5-4670T version would run allot cooler with its 45W TDP wich will give you pretty much the same performance as the Core i5-4670, if you are worried about tems and as is known, that heat can be compensated for with bigger cpu fans and/or a better cooling solution.

All in all, the new cpu’s of either the Core i5-4670 (that you have) or the Core i5-4670S (that runs cooler) should give you at least a range of between 55%-61% improved performance. Or if you want to go really up there then the Core i7-4790 (86%, 85 TDP) or the Core i7-4790S (90%, 65W TDP) should also be 100% compatible and putting these Core i7 cpu’s will give you between 86%-92% relative performance increase, it depends what you want and how far do you want to go? Good luck, hope this was helpful.

• MikeKulls

Tinkerer

Hi,
    You can upgrade with a i5-4670, I have no idea why i5-4590 didn't work, there are 3 users running i5-4590, anyway, after doing some reading, I have come to the conclusion that you can upgrade with a i5-4670.

So it turns out you were 100% correct, the i5-4670 worked a treat. I think the i5-4590 didn't work as it's a full year newer and likely not supported at the time the BIOS was created. It doesn't work in my main PC either but I think I can get it working with a BIOS update. Thanks again for all your help.

• MikeKulls

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:

Just as an additional advice and guide for anybody else contemplating in updating their replaceble and upgradeable cpu’s and/or upgrading and flashing bios’s. With the bios, you must read the bios instructions and follow exactly the flashing procedure guide! As in the case of flashing the new P22.A3 bios, you must have flashed it incorrectly to give you the error “flash was too small” and not followed the exact readme pdf flash guide provided within the bios P22.A3 upgrade package, follow the exact guide in the bios “Readme” pdf and start by:

You are 100% correct too, I didn't follow the correct procedures. I will give it a go when I get the chance. Thanks for your help. The PC is running quite nicely with the I5 and a GTX960, so a reasonable games machine for around AU$150

• MikeKulls said:
    Hi,

So it turns out you were 100% correct, the i5-4670 worked a treat. I think the i5-4590 didn't work as it's a full year newer and likely not supported at the time the BIOS was created. It doesn't work in my main PC either but I think I can get it working with a BIOS update. Thanks again for all your help.

You are most welcome and glad to be of some help  =)
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

So, something interesting. I put the I5 4590 in my regular PC and found it didn't work. Exact same symptom, PC just doesn't start up, fans spin but display never goes on, nothing beeps. I updated BIOS, still the same. The manufacturer website claims the CPU should work so I was thinking the CPU was faulty but I put it back in it's original PC (A SFF HP machine) and it's working fine. So at the moment I'm baffled. I thought maybe it was an odd version of the CPU but it's marked as I5 4590 pretty clear. Just posting this as I like to make threads I start complete. Maybe the Acer would work and it's the CPU, who knows.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe the P1xxxx and P2xxxx BIOS versions are for different motherboards, and trying to install a P22.A3 should not work with a MB using a P11 or P12. (IIRC the P11 is for Legacy boot, the P12 versions add UEFI boot).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    MikeKulls said:

I tried following this guide and get the exact same error. Are you sure I can go from P21.A3 to P22.A3? I noticed when I run the flash command it just runs this command below. There is another file called P22-A3.12M. Could I just edit the wflash.bat file to point to the 12M file??

afuwin ..\ROM\P22-A3.4M /p /b /n /r

• MikeKulls

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I believe the P1xxxx and P2xxxx BIOS versions are for different motherboards, and trying to install a P22.A3 should not work with a MB using a P11 or P12. (IIRC the P11 is for Legacy boot, the P12 versions add UEFI boot).

I have a feeling you are right. Current BIOS version is P21.A3 and I feel like Acer could easily have put multiple motherboards into the same model PC. The P21 bios is a UEFI bios and it will boot and run the video card in full UEFI mode (scm turned off). When I had an older video card in I had to turn scm on.
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

Hi,

Thanks, maybe the RAM needs to be different speed or something?
  • MikeKulls

Tinkerer

I tried upgrading this PC with an i7 4790 and couldn't get it working. I also tried with an X4630G which is basically the same motherboard with a different chipset. Both machines used the same BIOS version which is P21. The release date for P21 was around the exact time the chip was released so I presume it didn't make it into the release. The other BIOS versions (P12, P22 etc) had releases from a year later. So I'm guessing acer released updated board revisions that supported the i7 4790 and only made the bios available for them.