Is it possible to use a egpu on Acer aspire A315-42?

Tigerz72
Tigerz72 Member Posts: 3 New User
I have an Acer aspire A315-42 and i wanted to know if i could use a egpu for gaming?

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Things like that can never be guaranteed,  your laptop does have a nvme slot which in effect is just a small PCI slot. If nothing else is using it you can get a adapter to convert it to a pci lane and blame you have a gaming laptop ish (by having to either mod the bottom or keep removing it :D

In hwinfo you should be able to see the width of the slot  ,  if it's a 1x or a 2 x then anything will be very bottlenecked bit it still may run

Also in the past nvidia has added things to block it working , and then taken them out with no notice so it's something that may work one week and stop working the other. It can be a fun project would I wouldn't recommend  it longer term :)

Answers

• Leostat
    Its not possible im afraid, just to confrim is it this one  (  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.HF9EK.019  ). eGPU's need thunderbolt 3/4 to work.
  • Tigerz72
    Tigerz72 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited February 2021
    Leostat said:
    Its not possible im afraid, just to confrim is it this one  (  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.HF9EK.019  ). eGPU's need thunderbolt 3/4 to work.
    Yes it is that one but i was wondering if something like this could work?

• Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Things like that can never be guaranteed,  your laptop does have a nvme slot which in effect is just a small PCI slot. If nothing else is using it you can get a adapter to convert it to a pci lane and blame you have a gaming laptop ish (by having to either mod the bottom or keep removing it :D

In hwinfo you should be able to see the width of the slot  ,  if it's a 1x or a 2 x then anything will be very bottlenecked bit it still may run

Also in the past nvidia has added things to block it working , and then taken them out with no notice so it's something that may work one week and stop working the other. It can be a fun project would I wouldn't recommend  it longer term :)