Ethernet wont connect after getting a new network. Says cable not connected but fine on other device

PartiallyCompetent
PartiallyCompetent Member Posts: 9 New User
I posted this on another category but didn't get any responses so I am posting it here in hopes that someone will see it this time. the problem is that I got a new network at my house and now my Ethernet doesn't connect when plugged in. It was working fine before the network switch. I troubleshooted it with another computer/cable/port so I don't think its the router. It was working with the old router. I have reinstalled the device + drivers and that didn't fix the issue. When I look at adapter settings it says that the cable is not plugged in and then switches to no signal however I tried to plug in the same cable/port to a different computer and it was fine. it could be a hardware issue but I'm not sure as it was working fine before the new network so I don't know. I have also tried to reset IP and made sure that the computer isn't turning the controller off to save power. I am not sure where to go at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    If you plug the old router in, and just connect it does it work? And is there a link light when you plug the cable in? You dont need to have the router plugged into the internet, just power and ethernet between the PC and the router.
  • PartiallyCompetent
    Leostat said:
    If you plug the old router in, and just connect it does it work? And is there a link light when you plug the cable in? You dont need to have the router plugged into the internet, just power and ethernet between the PC and the router.
    I dont have access to the old router anymore however I was able to try it with a random extra router I that I found lying around. When I plug in the cable, there is a link light on the router and my computer registers that I have an ethernet cable plugged in. Should I try using this router on the new network?
  • Leostat
    If thats the case that rules out the port as its reading a link :s does it not have link lights on the new router?
  • PartiallyCompetent
    Leostat said:
    If thats the case that rules out the port as its reading a link :s does it not have link lights on the new router?
    The new router has a link light but it flashes on and off.
  • Leostat
    Usually  things like this are the cable, do you have a spare cable to try it with? 

Is it stretched or kinked when in the machine compared to when you tried it in a different  machine? 

And just to check you haven't set any static addressing or anything on the PC? ( in network settings , adapter settings, protocols  , ipv4 settings) If an address / dns server is set wrong it could cause it
  • PartiallyCompetent
    I tried to reset the IP. I tried it with another cable and it didn't work on my computer but with my normal cable it worked when I used another device.
  • Leostat
    What do you mean resetting the IP? Under general are they both set to auto in the Ipv4 settings, And under alternate are they also auto :)?
  • PartiallyCompetent
    everything is under auto I believe. I did a T TCP/IP reset with netsh winstock reset, netsh in ip reset and then ip config.
  • Leostat
    And under IP config does it show the media as disconected?
  • PartiallyCompetent
    Leostat said:
    And under IP config does it show the media as disconected?
    Yes, it does.