Unable to Start Up E1 -572 Laptop

Mikey393
Mikey393 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

After Acer Logo getting Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed . Click o.k. then:
Boot Option Menu - No Options Listed to Navigate. Press Escape Button on screen: 
No Bootable device -- Please restart system.
Restart & exactly the same appears. Urgent Help Needed.Many thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Tap the F2 key on startup to enter the BIOS menu. Does the BIOS INFORMATION tab show and describe either an HDD0 or HDD1 ?? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mikey393

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack. On the Boot menu. The 1st tab on menu is HDD. I have highlighted & enter but nothing happens.
  • Mikey393

Tinkerer

Boot Mode is: UEF1 then HDD is Option 1 on list.
  • JackE
    >>> On the Boot menu. The 1st tab on menu is HDD. >>>

Sorry, not the BOOT tab, the INFORMATION tab like shown below. What do you see in INFORMATION tab? A phone photo would be helpful. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mikey393

Tinkerer

edited February 2021

Please see photo above.

Edited the content to hide sensitive information

• JackE
    Your HDD is either not connected, not getting power or has failed. Open the HDD RAM door compartment (#4) and pull the HDD's end tab up & out  then push it back in to reseat it. Do it a few times to help clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mikey393

Tinkerer

Taken the hard drive out. I assume you mean the plastic tab sticking out at the end. I can't pull it. Do I need to take off the metal casing? 
  • JackE
    edited January 2021
    The end tab was just to help pull HDD out of the mainboard's socket. Leave the case alone. Just repeatedly plug & unplug the drive's connector into the mainboard's socket a half-dozen or so times to help clean the contacts. Then plug it back in, button the HDD/RAM cover back up, and see if the HDD now boots or at least shows up in the BIOS Information tab.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mikey393

Tinkerer

Tried still Not booting up. Information panel is the same as before.
  • JackE
    The bad news. My best guess is that the 2.5" HDD has most likely died. The good news. New replacement higher capacity 2.5" HDDs are very inexpensive these days. About $40 for a new 1TB HDD. Windows10 can be installed on a new HDD or SSD drive with a USB thumbdrive using Microsoft's free media creation tool. You might even be able to access personal files from the old drive with a $10 USB-to-HDD adapter but not guaranteed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mikey393

Tinkerer

Many thanks for your help today. I'll get it checked out at my local repair shop.
  • JackE
    Please let us know what they find. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ