Predator G9-792: Possible issue with DirectX 11 games

DBKH
DBKH Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi,

I had different issues on several games for maybe two or three years, but I was mostly able to find a workaround to fix these issues.

The issues are always the same: Black/White screen on startup with the sound working or Crash on startup.

Here is a list of games where I had issues: Final Fantasy XIV, Genshin Impact, Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends (only with the Client), Overwatch, Path of Exile,... also when I was working with Unity 3D.

Here is a list of few workarounds I found (they vary depending on the game):
  • In the Nvidia Control Panel, select "Integrated Graphics" (which is I think the Intel HD Graphics 530 instead of using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M) as the preferred graphics processor. Everything works using Intel of Nvidia, but only a few games can run with decent graphics and FPS.
  • Forcing the game to use DirectX 9 or 12 instead of DirectX 11, for example, using -force-d3d9 or -force-d3d12 in the launch options, when it was possible.
  • -OpenGL may also work.
  • Launch the game in full screen (instead of windowed and borderless windowed), but never Alt + Tab or change the graphic settings, otherwise, the game will crash.
Other solutions I tried, but didn't work: Installing old driver versions, installing last driver versions, resetting my PC.

So, I suspect my Nvidia GPU to have issues with DirectX 11, even if the DirectX Diagnostic Tool says it's using DirectX 12.

If anyone has an idea of the real problem with a long term fix, I'm ready to try anything.

Model: Predator G9-792-707Z
Part Number: 622006597200

Answers

• DBKH
    DBKH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here's an error after a crash on Path of Exile from the Event Viewer, which I think suggest an issue with d3d11.dll (DirectX 11)

Faulting application name: PathOfExileSteam.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60233796
    Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1316, time stamp: 0xb74da904
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x001918e7
    Faulting process id: 0xcb0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d704665febe0e4
    Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Path of Exile\PathOfExileSteam.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
    Report Id: 4354f3df-fe74-4c67-bc6c-13fb0a60afa7
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: