My Aspire AM3201-EF8650 will not power up

tech1126
tech1126 Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited January 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hey guys, glad to be back...sort of! My Aspire AM3201-EF8650 will not power up so what i have done is switch out the power supply with a P.S.)that does work and i tested it to be sure)When i click the power switch the green Ethernet light lights up and i can hear the speakers pop slightly but thats all. The main fan does not turn on and the power supply fan also does not turn on either. I am beginning to wonder if it may be the mother board. The off white connector that plugs into the MB had some black soot on it like if there was some sort of short, that's when i changed out the P.S. but it wouldn't fire up. I entered the S/N for the unit to see if i could find a MB but the Acer server says "There is no S/N please try again",i can't enter the SNID because some of the numbers are missing as this is an old P.C.This is the same P.C.that you guys helped me with a couple of years ago with other issues.I want to try to get it going because i just bought 4 new sticks of RAM and an additional Harddrive so i would really love to get her going again.Thanks guys for your help, i look forward to your replies.
S/N PTSAX0X008XXXXX

Edited the content to hide sensitive information

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If the fan on the PSU is not spinning at all then likely it's not getting turned on. You can pull the power off the MB and jumper the power switch pins on the 24 pin connector to see if the PSU will turn on there. The Ethernet power is only one voltage, and it turns on even when the rest of the MB is not getting power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Seeing burn marks is not a good sign. When you disconnect the PSU can you see if the pins on the connector are also burned some? The fact that the Ethernet is on the motherboard and lights up is good, that the fan doesn't spin up at all is bad. What caused the original PSU to fail might have burned up the new one as well...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tech1126
    Hi Billsey,  The fan in the PS doesn't turn and the fan over the processor also does not spin but the only light on is the ethernet "Green light" I changed out the PS but no fans on the PS nor the processor fan dont spin but green lite is on. The 4 prong power plug is the one that had soot on it. Being that the ethernet card lite is on does that mean the motherboard is ok? Is there another way to put power on the MB other then the small 4 prong plug? I appreciate your help dude!!! Oh the 2 good PS i changed out neither have the fans turning...I dont know why.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    If the fan on the PSU is not spinning at all then likely it's not getting turned on. You can pull the power off the MB and jumper the power switch pins on the 24 pin connector to see if the PSU will turn on there. The Ethernet power is only one voltage, and it turns on even when the rest of the MB is not getting power.
  • tech1126
    Ok i'll give it a try. Can you tell me which pins i need to ground out?
  • billsey
    Something like this is easiest, or if you can't wait for Amazon there are plenty of how-tos out there. Search on ATX power jumper.
  • tech1126
    Hey Billsey, ok I made a jumper wire and connected it per the directions on method one:just one wire into the green wire in the plug and the PS did turn on. Does this mean the MB is defective?
    I don't know where to go from this point. 
  • billsey
    Nope, that means the PSU is defective. With the jumper in place the PSU should turn on. If it doesn't turn on it's bad... Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us whether the MB is also bad, since they could have easily both gone south at the same moment, when that burning happened that discolored the connector. You have tried a known good PSU with this motherboard with no success and you have tried the PSU by itself with no success. Those two are pointing at both having failed. :(