Frustrated--still can't access boot order--Aspire E5-576G-5762

Options
compiler
compiler Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I want to change the boot order so that my Acer can boot from a USB drive. I follow AcerCare instructions and boot into BIOS,
 then choose BOOT. I'm supposed to get the BOOT ORDER option. I don't. I get one option, BOOT MANAGER.
But nothing happens when I click on it. This should be very simple. What am I missing? 

Mel

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The BIOS supervisor password is only for disabling or enabling certain security features inside the BIOS menu, not the HDD or Windows system, that can't be changed without the password. Once the changes are made, you can disable password again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Double check the F12 boot option is still turned on in the MAIN tab. Then, with the USB stick inserted, press & hold the F12 key. Then while still holding the F12 key, press the power button to turn the machine on. Jack E/NJ

PS: Make sure your bootable stick is made for BOTH UEFI & legacy BIOS modes.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Go to the BIOS Main tab and make sure the F12 boot menu option is enabled. Then reboot the machine and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A menu should appear to allow you to select the bootable USB stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    Options
    Jack: Thanks for the quick response. F12 is enabled. When I boot using F12, Boot manager is highlighted and I cannot move off of it The up-arrow/down-arrow, F5, F6 do nothing. If I hit Enter, the machine does the usual boot from C-drive. Now, above the highlighted boot manager, it says Boot                  Option                 Menu. I have no way of getting to it. Thoughts?

Mel
  • JackE
    Options
    Re-enter the BIOS menu Security tab. Set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot. Then try the F12 boot option again. Don't forget your password. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Jack: Before I do that, what are the implications of having a supervisor pw. Will I need this pw for a regular normal computer login (right now, I don't need a pw or pin to get on the computer and I like it that way). Is the supervisor pw just needed to access the BIOS? I have W 10, 20H2, if that matters.

Also, can I delete the sup. pw at a later date if  I so desire.

Mel
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The BIOS supervisor password is only for disabling or enabling certain security features inside the BIOS menu, not the HDD or Windows system, that can't be changed without the password. Once the changes are made, you can disable password again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    Options
    Jack:
    Sorry for the delay. I was waiting until I did my next full image B/U before proceeding (which was probably irrelevant).  Anyway, I set a supervisor PW, went back in and disabled secure boot. I then went back in via F12. Unfortunately, nothing changed. As I said in a previous post:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Jack: Thanks for the quick response. F12 is enabled. When I boot using F12, Boot manager is highlighted and I cannot move off of it The up-arrow/down-arrow, F5, F6 do nothing. If I hit Enter, the machine does the usual boot from C-drive. Now, above the highlighted boot manager, it says Boot                  Option                 Menu. I have no way of getting to it. Thoughts?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
    Also, going forward, should I re-enable secure boot?
    Any other ideas?
    NOTE: I want to change the boot ORDER. I want the laptop to always check my USB port first.
    Does your method do that or is it just a one-time shot?

Mel
  • JackE
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Double check the F12 boot option is still turned on in the MAIN tab. Then, with the USB stick inserted, press & hold the F12 key. Then while still holding the F12 key, press the power button to turn the machine on. Jack E/NJ

PS: Make sure your bootable stick is made for BOTH UEFI & legacy BIOS modes.

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    Options
    Jack:
    Thanks for your help. It's been quite a ride. The short answer: IT WORKED.
    I then tried holding the F2 button and pressing start. THAT ALSO WORKED. Much better than doing the hit-or-miss continuous tapping! I then re-enabled the secure boot and it still worked. How come? Could it be that holding the F12 key was the real fix here?
    Finally: Is there no way to change the actual boot order?

Mel
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Finally: Is there no way to change the actual boot order?>>>

Is the iso stick GPT partitioned? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    Options
    I doubt it. The stick itself is a Macrium Reflect boot stick. I may create a W10 boot stick also.
    I'm talking about a boot order where I can prioritize media (eg: USB first, disk drive 2nd, C drive 3rd).
    I want the computer to do such an order, even if I am not using any devices in an instant.
    I've seen youtube videos where it is done, but I can never get to the boot order where I can move devices up or down in the order

Mel
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, I understand that you're referring to the boot order. But unless the stick is GPT partitioned, BIOS UEFI mode won't see it in the boot order except via WinBootMgr (eg the F12 option).  You should use the latest Rufus freeware to prepare the Win10 iso boot stick as GPT, not MBR, partitioned.  Then see if it'll show up in a configurable UEFI boot order along with WinBootMgr.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• compiler
    Options
    OK, thanks. At this point, I'll just stick with the F12 USB combo.
    Thanks for your help and patience

Mel
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ