Aspire TC-875-UR15 doesn't recognise optical drive

Options
Pops3
Pops3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I recently bought a new Aspire TC-875-UR15 (11-27-20). For some reason the system won't recognise discs or the optical drive every time. Sometimes the first time I put the disc in the drive fires right up. Other times I have to open and close the drive several times, and even then there's no guarantee the disc will play.  And other times after being silent for 5-6 minutes, it starts by itself. What gives?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Pops3
    I'll try to check connections first. Unplug the connectors from the drive and the motherboard. Check for any corrosion and then plug back the connectors ( both the data and the power connectors) firmly. SATA  data connectors without clip can become loose easily.
  • Pops3
    Pops3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    @ttttt - Well it's worth a shot. But on a new computer? Oh well. Solch ist lebe.
  • TandE
    TandE Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have a TC-875-UR13. I similarly have been having issues with discs being recognized once inserted into the DVD RW drive. I'm running the latest version of Win10 Home. Unfortunately I don't have an answer as to why this is happening. However, I did find a way to access my discs every time I insert one. Open File Explorer. Select "View" from the toolbar at the top. Next, "Navigation Pane." Finally, make sure that "Navigation Pane" & "Show all folders" are checked off so that they appear. Once I did this, the DVD drive appeared in the navigation list on the left down at the bottom. If I left click on the DVD drive icon the drive pops open and a message appears requesting that I insert a disc into drive D:. I then insert a disc. I close the message requesting that I insert the disc. I then left click on the DVD drive icon once more. File Explorer now displays the files contained on the disc to the right. Autoplay begins; in my case I've been using the drive for music CD's, so Windows Media Player opens.

You are likely already aware of this, however, just in case... Autoplay settings can be found in the Windows Settings app > Devices > Autoplay. You can also find other Autoplay related settings by going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Autoplay.

Hope this is helpful!
  • TandE
    TandE Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Edit to post at 1:46... the comment system misinterpreted the letter and symbols for "drive D" as an emoji after the word "drive." Sorry for any confusion!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yeah, I put an extra space in to fool the system. D : instead of D:.

And yes, I fudged that here. I used the HTML code for a colon (:) in HTML edit mode... :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.